Are you shifting me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you shifting me....

Hey guys!! I'm new to the forum!! So good to be here. So I am in the middle of rebuilding my 325i motor and swapping in a manual. I made the mistake of ordering a shift linkage for a 90-92 E30 when my transmission (Getrag 260 from a 325i) was made in 1987 or 88. I didn't think there was a difference between the two linkages. BUUUUUUT I was wrong. So my question is that if I order a linkage rebuild kit for a 90-92 would I be able to put it on my trans and make it work? The problem is that it shifts through all the gears EXCEPT for first. I can't even force it in. I thought it was because the trans was bad but I saw that the shifting arm is different. (Mine is not straight, I will post a picture later) And the shifter rod joint (or selector rod joint) is slightly different on the pre 1990s. So basically I'm trying to make it work because shift linkages are really expensive and hard to find.

Would this idea work? Basically taking an 88 trans and putting on a whole 1990 shift linkage set up. In theory it would work because they are the same transmission right?

Hope this helps

There are two main reasons to swap transmissions in an E30: to exchange one worn transmission for a better one or to change from an automatic to a manual (more preferred). FYI, the first scenario is easier. From Worn to Better With both automatics and manuals, there are some year-to-year differences in the six-cylinder

Is the vin still on the trans? Stamp? Find out the year of The trans for sure for sure.

It seems you may need the e30 m3 mounting bracket.

Last edited by ScottSneed; 01-09-2018, 02:04 AM.
    Transaction Feedback
    Various E30 Parts for Sale!
    Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
    -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
    -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Working...
    X