Rear Defrost Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Defrost Problem

With winter around the corner I've really been wanting to get my defrost working. It works, but only for one of the "lines" on the rear window. I've found threads about non-working defrosters, but none where only one line is operational. Anyway, is there some easy way to fix this and get the whole circuit working, or am I going to have to start saving for a new rear window?

Here's a photo of what it looks like after defrosting for several minutes.

IMG_2617 by TACIdaho, on Flickr

Also, my car is an '89 iX, if that makes any difference.
    (OO=[][]=OO)

Instagram: @e30_tac

https://www.instagram.com/e30_tac/

You said it, easiest way is to replace the window.

It's a tedious task finding the breaks in the element and painting the lines back together.

Comment

You should test the individual wires to find out where the breaks are. Can be done by using a DMM and testing for continuity between various points. First make sure that there is continuity from one side to the other right at the point where the main lead breaks out into the individual lines. Then you can start testing each line and identifying where the breaks in each wire are.

There are repair kits you can buy from local auto stores that can repair small breaks in the lines by adding in a conductive material.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll try testing with my MultiMeter and see if I can fix it up manually. Eventually I'll just replace the window, but hopefully I can at least add a little bit more functionality for this winter.
        (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

I previously had a 240sx with about 25% of the rear defroster functional. Using the repair kit from Auto Zone, I got it to about 80%. As others have said, it's very tedious. The kit included a cardboard template, but I found it easier to use painters tape. I was able to visually see the failure points, which helped. Most were created by removing a crappy tint from the P.O. At that point in my life I had more time than money, so I was very happy with the solution.

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
            I previously had a 240sx with about 25% of the rear defroster functional. Using the repair kit from Auto Zone, I got it to about 80%. As others have said, it's very tedious. The kit included a cardboard template, but I found it easier to use painters tape. I was able to visually see the failure points, which helped. Most were created by removing a crappy tint from the P.O. At that point in my life I had more time than money, so I was very happy with the solution.

Cory
            I don’t have much time OR money - lol. Thanks for the input though, I’ll probably do something similar over break and replace the whole thing sometime down the road.
            (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Working...
            X