My horn does not work on my E30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My horn does not work on my E30.

I got out my 325ix for winter duty last week and after not driving it since last winter it had a few things that needed addressed for daily driving duties. Heated driver seat not working(bad switch), light out on license lamp(bad bulb), in operable turn signal reset(hub was too far from reset), driver side wiper arm not working(stripped threads on arm)and horn not working(the reason for this thread).

I was able to address everything but the horn. And I was even able to figure out why it wasn't working but I couldn't figure out how to fix it. What is wrong is that the steering column shaft is not grounding out. If I take a known ground to the horn brush the horn works. But when I connect the horn brush to the steering column shaft it does nothing. I tried adding an additional ground from g200 to g201 and it also did nothing.

This is really weird. It worked fine the last time I drove it for inspection in August 2017. And I have only come across a similar situation once before but my previous solution did not work this time(additional ground from g200 to g201). And I am at a loss of what to do for my next step. I have perfect ground from g200 up to g201 but no ground on the steering column shaft without that there is no ground for my steering wheel.

There is nothing wrong with any other part of the horn circuit. As I said I can make it work by connecting known ground to the horn brush. So it is not a fuse or a relay and all of my horns work. The horn worked previously on the exact setup I have now and it will not work on neither of the other two stock E30 steering wheels that I have(air bag and 4 spoke). I am hoping someone has seen something like this before and can point me in the right direction. And I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

rzerob
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

iirc you should remove the bottom half of the column cover, in there you'll find the spade connector where the ground wire connects to the horn ring assembly. i'm betting it came unplugged or is corroded/loose

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
      iirc you should remove the bottom half of the column cover, in there you'll find the spade connector where the ground wire connects to the horn ring assembly. i'm betting it came unplugged or is corroded/loose
      Thank you for your response mitchlikesbikes.

Are you talking about the horn brush? The little piece that is riveted on both ends to the steering column? That is not the ground that is the power. Then power travels to the slip ring on the steering wheel hub. And the steering column is the ground(g201). There was nothing wrong with the power side of the circuit. I could connect know ground to the horn brush it would complete the circuit causing the horns to sound.

Last night after I put the steering wheel back together I tested the horn just to see if it would do anything. It did nothing. Today driving to work my horn worked. Weird.
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
        Thank you for your response mitchlikesbikes.

Are you talking about the horn brush? The little piece that is riveted on both ends to the steering column? That is not the ground that is the power. Then power travels to the slip ring on the steering wheel hub. And the steering column is the ground(g201). There was nothing wrong with the power side of the circuit. I could connect know ground to the horn brush it would complete the circuit causing the horns to sound.

Last night after I put the steering wheel back together I tested the horn just to see if it would do anything. It did nothing. Today driving to work my horn worked. Weird.
        maybe i am picturing it wrong. its been awhile since i had mine apart.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Working...
        X