No announcement yet.

Wow the Artic Freeze is here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's cold in NJ, single digits and teens the entire week. People in NYC for NYE are going to have a blast with the negative wind chills on Sunday night!

Comment

Its supposed to be -24 here on Sunday

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        growing up I can remember about equal numbers of opening day of firearms deer seasons (Nov 15th) with snow on the ground Vs sitting out in a T shirt.... that raito has not seemed to change much for that area recently and that on the same latitude as Toronto (S MI is where I grew up)
        Odd - I remember growing up that we could get onto the ski hills every year by the first week of december. Now they are lucky to open up before christmas.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

I would love to be able to tolerate cold temps like that. I grew up in Michigan but left my entire life behind years ago because the weather got too intolerable. Doctors haven't been able to find anything wrong with me, but having to struggle to hold food down in temps below 60F due to violent shivering doesn't seem right. My life would be a lot better if I could move back and be around family and friends.
          sigpic
          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

I hate the cold, but what you're dealing with sounds pretty intense/crazy.

Never heard of anything of the sort, but then again I'm no doctor.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
            Sounds like you need a massage.
            Originally posted by kpeng
            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
              I would love to be able to tolerate cold temps like that. I grew up in Michigan but left my entire life behind years ago because the weather got too intolerable. Doctors haven't been able to find anything wrong with me, but having to struggle to hold food down in temps below 60F due to violent shivering doesn't seem right. My life would be a lot better if I could move back and be around family and friends.
              good lord! that sounds terrible.

i really have nothing to relate to this but about 20 years ago, i spent a year living in american samoa. when i came back to michigan, the temps were in the low to upper 70's but i wore a spring jacket wherever i went until winter came and i became acclimatized to the cold again. everyone always looked at me like what the hell are you doing?
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I detasselled corn for a few years and got used to the 120 degree corn fields. Now i do about the same thing in cold weather its horrible. I used to wear shorts year round. 0 degrees and im walking home from school in shorts.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Jesus dude, thats horrible, I get kinda like that when its hot out, I dont do heat good, and when I am out in it and its over 90ish I lose all appetite and just dont eat much.... Have you had your thyroid levels looked into......
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Here in Houston it was a high of 55 °F today. Next week it will get as low as 28 °F. It can't compare to the NE but it's still a damp cold which is different. We pay in the summer though, 98 °F an nearly 100% humidity.
                    1995 525i Bostongruen Metallic
                    1995 525i Calypsorot
                    1988 325ic Zinnoberrot
                    2000 540i M-Sport Cosmo Swartz

Comment

Originally posted by Frobill View Post
                      Here in Houston it was a high of 55 °F today. Next week it will get as low as 28 °F. It can't compare to the NE but it's still a damp cold which is different. We pay in the summer though, 98 °F an nearly 100% humidity.
                      To be honest I prefer the deep cold to a 'damp' cold any day. At least with a deep cold you can layer for it, the damp cold seems to chill you to the bone no matter how well you're layered.
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Here in York, PA it was 8* F yesterday morning around 7am, reel feel was -5. I stayed inside sitting near the coal stove. Today's high was low 20's . Im happy I am used to living here, I can work in the summer up into the 90's or in winter down in to the mid teens but I can not stand being out to many hours without warming back up. I know my Audi didnt want to start today even though my E30 had no problem when I put it in the trailer for winter last night.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          when i came back to michigan, the temps were in the low to upper 70's but i wore a spring jacket wherever i went until winter came and i became acclimatized to the cold again.
                          That was kinda like what I did, except Arizona, and I never went back to normal. Moved from NE Ohio to Phoenix when I was 18 because the winters started to really wear on me, lived there for 2 years, but had a hard time making money so came back and it was awful. Spent the next 10 years in Cincinnati too broke to leave until finally I was so desperate to get out I broke down and moved to California on a whim for a job that turned out to not actually exist. 7 years later I am still here, California has been anything but friendly to me but I have nowhere else to go. There is no way I could go back to the midwest at this point, it sucks, wish I could go wrench on cars with my Dad and get back into racing and playing music and all the things I'm too poor to do out here. I gave up almost everything just to not be so cold.

I LOVE the heat though, until 120 or so, then I start to get a little woozy if I am out in it for too long. I'll wear a hoodie into the 80s if I'm not moving around or in direct sunlight.

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          Have you had your thyroid levels looked into......
                          Yeah, found nothing wrong. I apparently have a low pulse though as a result, from what I can tell being underweight, poor circulation, and iron and vitamin D deficiencies are all exacerbating the problem, but I was cold all the time when I was overweight years ago too. Doctors have never acted like they take it very seriously.
                          Last edited by Vincent Brick; 12-29-2017, 10:27 PM.
                          sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

HOw old were you when you left?

I left the prairies in my mid 20's and haven't returned since. Don't worry, I also suffer from the same condition. It comes from a lack of tolerating shitty weather and a shitty lifestyle. I miss my family and friends but there's no way in hell I can tolerate going back to the prairies. Not only is the weather shitty, but so is the food, music, lack of cultural diversity etc. Even when I merely think of going back, a little bit of me dies (literally) inside. Not sure which part, maybe it's the kidney's or the liver since I've been drinking too much.....I'm really tired. Gotta stop drinking and go to bed

...k, bye
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

HOw old were you when you left?

...Not only is the weather shitty, but so is the food, music, lack of cultural diversity etc. Even when I merely think of going back, a little bit of me dies (literally) inside.

So much this. No one understands, not the people in the midwest, not the people here who have never been to the midwest. I really dislike midwest culture, if you can even call it that, as a whole. The gloom, the crime, the heroin, religious nuts, shitty music/nightlife, no good Mexican food, there's a reason it is so cheap to live there. Not to mention going back would mean reduced access to healthcare, no legal cannabis (I'm a legit medicinal user) and college costs that put education firmly out of my reach (state tuition 3x California's).

Moved to Arizona when I was 18, back to Ohio at 20, California at 33, now about to turn 40. It didn't help that part of my teenage years were spent close to NYC where there actually was culture, I didn't do well when I had that ripped out from under me at 15, GM closing another plant and forcing my family into a second long-distance move.

I wish I was drinking tonight, I really want to but I have been overdoing it lately blacking out and shit so trying to dial back.
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow Vince.... thats crazy, my wife has been dealing with a lot of weird things related to hormone and endocrine issues. She has had the best luck in seeing a Naturopath, and a Functional medicine doc.... On the off chance do you get enough Iodine in your diet....

That said, we are in the grips of a winter storm with temps in the low singles and with the wind feels like 10 to 25 below and it has not stoped snowing since it started almost 2 days ago, they NWS says 16+ when its all done... I have spent 6 hours moving snow in the last 2 days and its still coming down at 2 inches an hour as I type this with 30mph winds drifting my drive way shut again..... Oh well Montana winter time problems, I love this time of year.......
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X