trans was fine, now no shift after remove/reinstall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trans was fine, now no shift after remove/reinstall

1986 352 with auto trans with approximately 160k miles on the car.

my son's auto trans was shifting fine but was pouring fluid out the inspection cover, like pouring a stream out, not dripping. so we pulled the trans and the input shaft seal needed replacing. we popped a new one in and put the trans back on. everything went smooth reinstalling the transmission and all went together just like it came off.

now the car doesn't move, at all. it doesn't make the little feeling when you shift gears and you can tell it goes into gear, it doesn't try to move, nothing. I can tell the torque converter is working because when you move the shift lever from park to reverse or drive, the rpms drop down to 800 or so and when you shift back to park, the rpms go back up a little.

what could have happened? when we were putting it together, I made sure and turn the output shaft to see that everything slide back together on the splines up front. nothing went bad and its not my first time doing this to an e30, I have only had about 15 of them over the years and swapped motors and trans and changed flywheels and everything any e30 guy does. I just don't know what could have happened to this one? the car is so close to original that the trans still ahs the vin sticker that matches the car's vin.

all linkages are good, everything is good. its a 4hp22, not the electronic one.

Comment

I geuss i am on my own. Oh well, thats life

Comment

Did you fill it back up with fluid?

Feedback Thread

Comment

most people who pull the auto trans don't put it back in so that's probably why you're getting low response.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
          IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

I did indeed fill it back up, thanks for asking. I am glad to get some responses.

I know most people swap in the standard, I agree. I was trying to tell my son lets put in the 5 speed I have waiting but he wanted to get the car back on the road quickly and since it was just a seal, it should have been quick. unfortunately, its not. so now we are trying to figure out what is stopping it from working. I told him if we have to drop it again, the 5 speed goes in, though. I am not playing around with this stupid transmission because he doesn't want a stick. when we drop the pan and check everything we can from there, if its not something we can fix, 5 speed it is.

if he doesn't like the 5 speed, he can have the camry and I will take the e30

Comment

sounds like you should manual swap so you can drop the clutch in second as you leave from dropping him off at the orphanage

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
              IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Ha ha ha

Comment

Ok, we found out whats wrong.

Somehow we didn't align the torque converter on the trans input shaft properly and it broke the pump in the trans. This requires a rebuild, from what i understand, to fix. We came to this conclusion by unhooking one of the hoses and seeing no fluid moving.

Googling that and that trans type, together, took me to a range rover sight, which also uses the 4hp22. Onw of their guys broke it all down on what happened.

So, perfectly good transmission now is trash because of stupid shit

Comment

ok, trans is not trashed but still not working because of pump. I will have to order another pump and tear it open to replace so I still will have a back up transmission

Comment

Working...
                    X