Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help!fuse 10 keeps blowing and i have no guages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahahahahhahaahaha omg....isnt that high risk of buring your car to shit?
    M stands for Money:hitler:

Comment

Not nessasarily but ill be damned if i ever try it.
      sigpic

Comment

OK, so no other fuses are blowing, just fuse 10, right?

Have you checked your unloader relays with known good ones, see if they are causing the problem?

Systematic testing is your only hope. You could remove the fuse and replace it with a voltmeter while you do the testing, but if something is going to fry, this is when it will do it... I'd recommend just picking up a big handful of 7.5A fuses and working through this.
        John in MD - 1991 318is
        190k miles and still rolling!

Comment

and where are the unloader relays located?

Comment

Uhh... in the middle of the fuse box...

The lid should tell you which is which, but if you don't have one (which you should rectify), K5 is the forwardmost one on the left/driver's side of the car, and K7 the third one back, or second from the firewall, again on the left/driver's side.
            John in MD - 1991 318is

Comment

Wait, I just had a brain fart. My 318 was doing the same. I finally found out that the dryer was locked up. I unplugged it and the problem was gone. At least give it a shot.
              sigpic

Comment

lol wait a sec im confused on that last post haha, you had a brainfart and the dryer in your head was locked up????

or the dryer in the relay??

do you mean take out the load reduction relays one by on and see if that makes a difference?

Comment

AC dryer unplug it from the harness for shits and giggles
                  sigpic

Comment

If it is an AC component, the unloader relay is not doing it's job - the relay should separate those heavy draw components from the fuse 10 circuit.

Pull the relays and rule them out. Then, proceed to the fun part - chasing wires.

First thing I would do if you get to this point is check each and every termination of the circuit for continuity to ground, maybe you'll get lucky and find an obvious one.

Then, leave everything on the circuit unplugged, and, one by one, plug them back in. As in, plug one in, turn it on and see if it blows the fuse, then unplug it and move to the next component. Maybe one of the components is drawing too much current.

It would suck to have to physically trace each wire, but it can be done.
                    John in MD - 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
                      Not nessasarily but ill be damned if i ever try it.
                      absolutely... I knew a friend in high school... his name is cough cough "essi" yes he's persian. He instal some speakers and didnt uprate the wire and jsut hook up a higher amp fuse... He's car burns to a crispy nothing... literally, went over adn his car was in flames everything, before the firewall aka engine etc was fine, everythign in the back is just black charcoal.

Comment

fair enough...ok...some obvious things that i cant unplug are...starter...fuel pump....hmmmm because it states fuse 10 is connected to them...i have unplugged almost every component except the starter and fuel pump...........i was also noticing on the wiring diagram that the seatbelt check and control unit are linked to fuse 10...ill unplug that unit(it is mounted behind the abs unit right????

regarding fuel and starter....can i just unplug those relays as well??? and try a fuse?

my whole a/c system is removed...by the way

thanks alot guys for your help

Comment

how about the wire? is it just dangling?
                          sigpic

Comment

checking as we speak...yes their hanging but by no means touching any part of the body and the ends all have housings around them...

Comment

alright, well youve got me stumped
                              sigpic

Comment

Any time I have had a fuse problem, it always led back to the wiring harness in the trunk. The metal clips that hold the harness on the left side of the trunk kept digging into the wires. Once I pulled the entire harness out the problem went away.

Comment

Working...
                                X