Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Carry.

Thoughts?

I will be putting in my CWP for the wonderful state of VA here pretty soon, which has got me thinking about open carry. The pro's, the con's, the principle.

I have not open carried, but the more I think about it, the more I consider it.

Which leads me to this very interesting article I just read on the topic.

No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Originally posted by some hick
    Well as a matter of fact, for personal protection, one could argue either side of that question with great logic and skill. On one hand many off duty police officers would tell you that they carry concealed when they are not in uniform. This gives one the advantage of the element of surprise. For instance if a person were to be in a bank with a concealed weapon during a robbery, while they were an innocent bystander, they could choose to pull their weapon and shoot the robber(s) while they were distracted and looking the other direction.
    Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on the internet.

I know that whenever I go into a bank, it gets robbed, and I need to be the fucking hero. I'm also an expert shot and there is absolutely no chance that anything bad would happen as a result.

2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
      Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on the internet.

I know that whenever I go into a bank, it gets robbed, and I need to be the fucking hero. I'm also an expert shot and there is absolutely no chance that anything bad would happen as a result.

How about thoughts... You know, the ones that you actually spend time on to construct an insightful opinion.

But while we're at it, I'm sure a bank robbery is much better off on a safety stand point if only the criminal is armed.
      No E30 Club
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
        How about thoughts... You know, the ones that you actually spend time on to construct an insightful opinion.
        I can't think of any more insightful question than, "why do you need to carry?"

According to the website you posted a legitimate reason appears to be to go to war with our own government.

Forgive me for finding humor in it. I'm all for gun ownership, I just don't see the need for carrying - happy to be convinced though.
        1996 Civic white/black
        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I'm all for gun ownership, I just don't see the need for carrying - happy to be convinced though.
          So you are pro-gun but not pro-self defense if out in public?
          No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
            So you are pro-gun but not pro-self defense if out in public?
            Let's be honest, most of the time its easier to avoid trouble. I lived in Iraq for two years and managed to avoid it; I can't imagine where you live is any worse.

If someone breaks into your house, by all means unload. If someone wants to take my car at a stoplight, they can have it. I'm not getting into a bullet winging contest over something that's insured and can be easily replaced.
            1996 Civic white/black
            1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I vote we all walk around like its the Wild West. Holstered guns and chaps all around
              sigpic

Comment

Here in Texas, you need to go to a class and pass a background check to be able to carry a concealed firearm on your person when in public. You cannot have a chl in Texas if you have any kind of convictions or charges for violent crimes of any kind or felonies. Hell, you cannot have a firearm period if you have any felonies. You lose that right when you commit a felonious act in Texas. The class teaches individuals how to properly handle a situation where deadly force is warranted, the repercussions, if any, of that use of deadly force and how to try and avoid the use of deadly force so that you don't have a bunch of idiots carrying firearms in public.

The Castle Doctrine however, allows a non felonious person to carry a concealed and loaded firearm on their person while in their vehicle. You do not have to have a permit to do that. If you get pulled over by law enforcement, you HAVE to disclose that you have a concealed firearm in the vehicle. The Castle Doctrine also allows the use of deadly force if you feel threatened for your life while on your own property. I have a neighbor that her father shot a person stealing things from his front porch. He was arrested, but was also cleared of the charges because he was well within his rights to use deadly force in the situation. Doesn't mean that he won't get sued by the thief, but he exercised his right to protect himself and his property.

The case of to carry , not to carry, to open carry, to conceal carry...there are problems with them all. Not one law is perfect. I personally like the fact that Texas law permits that I can carry my firearm on my person to protect myself. I carry in my vehicle while on trips. I like the peace of mind afforded by Texas Law. Some may disagree, others will agree. It is my personal preference to carry and I exercise my right to carry.

Comment

^ Good post. Not a black and white issue - more personal than anything.
                  1996 Civic white/black
                  1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

In my opinion open carry just paints a big target on your back. For the same reason that I didn't like going to stores wearing my security uniform, I don't like openly carrying. It says to any would-be bad guys "hey, take me out first!"

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Let's be honest, most of the time its easier to avoid trouble. I lived in Iraq for two years and managed to avoid it; I can't imagine where you live is any worse.

If someone breaks into your house, by all means unload. If someone wants to take my car at a stoplight, they can have it. I'm not getting into a bullet winging contest over something that's insured and can be easily replaced.
                      sure but what if someone wants your life??? Or your spouse's life, or your childs life?? What then are they insured and easily replaced...............

I dont carry a weapon to defend my stuff I carry it to defend ME............ Sometimes you just cant avoid trouble no matter how hard you attempt to. You seem to be trying to pigeon hole those that carry a weapon as some kind of nut looking for a fight, when the reality of it is, 99.9% dont ever want to have to draw that weapon let alone go looking for a reason.

As to open carry, if your out in the country and hiking and shit like that sure, or in a environment where you are with a bunch of like minded individuals ok. In general its prolly going to cause you more issues than you are likely willing to put up with. I tend to look at it like religion or being gay, unless your looking to stir up shit then keep it too yourself and dont jamb your life style and choices down the throats of others that might not be as accepting of seeing your weapon on your hip its kinda a respect thing to me. I understand the point of O/C as a statement and enjoying your rights and I agree with it as well if your willing to put up with the shit that comes with it. I live in a state where O/C is still fairly common place, so when I am at home I am good either way when it comes to the constabulary , though in Little California it tends to draw a bit of unwanted attention. Personally I just keep it under wraps but dont worry about getting made or the weapon printing

Then there comes the practical side of things, while O/C may serve as a deterrent to you getting fucked with by someone up too no good, it could also make you the 1st target or the only target by the same type of person that is committed to what every they have planed. In the latter situation, you are giving up your best and only real advantage surprise with a concealed weapon Vs open.

To the guy from TX. TX is the only state in the union that I know of that allows you to use castle doctrine as a legal defense for use of lethal force for defense of property alone. In all the other states castle doctrine your life or limb must be jeopardy, or that of someone in your home, there are a few states that have extended this to anywhere you have right to be and to anyone you see fit to stick your neck out for. These restrictions vary greatly from state to state, and if your going to carry a weapon you should be very familiar with the laws in the state in which you live and those in which you plan to travel in. Your story is unique to TX and only TX.......
                      Last edited by mrsleeve; 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM.
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

I'm all for concealed carry, however, I feel like someone is in the wrong mindset that they want people to know they are carrying a gun.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

^ that too

Moral of this story?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            To the guy from TX. TX is the only state in the union that I know of that allows you to use castle doctrine as a legal defense for use of lethal force for defense of property alone. In all the other states castle doctrine your life or limb must be jeopardy, or that of someone in your home, there are a few states that have extended this to anywhere you have right to be and to anyone you see fit to stick your neck out for. These restrictions vary greatly from state to state, and if your going to carry a weapon you should be very familiar with the laws in the state in which you live and those in which you plan to travel in. Your story is unique to TX and only TX.......
                            Arizona, too. http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/00411.htm

Moral of this story?

Comment

look at Chicago where all guns are BANNED and they have one of the worst crime epidemics in history. then look at el paso texas, close to the border and has open carry, one of the SAFEST cities in the US.

Comment

Working...
                              X