No announcement yet.

M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thermal dispersant coating is ok by me, how do they prep the IC for coating? I would hate to see stray abrasive damage your engine.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I don't know how they prep it exactly, but my guess is media blasting. So they'd have to plug the inlet/outlet well, and then hopefully clean with compressed air afterwards just in case. I'll ask them about it when I drop off the parts in a month or so.

I spoke to these guys on the phone this morning: http://buster-beaver.com/

They are a Cerakote-licensed applicator. Looks like it would be around $500 to have the manifold, wastegate, turbo exhaust housing, downpipes and up-pipe all coated with their Glacier-series insulating coating (inside and outside), plus another $125-ish for the "Transfer Gray" heat-dispersion coating on the IC.

The way I figure it is I can either buy a turbo blanket ($100-$150) and exhaust wrap ($50-$100) and still get plenty of corrosion/pitting/rust, or do the coating technique and have everything protected for the life of the component. Coatings definitely cost more but I'm willing to fork over the $ for what is, IMO, a better solution.

Comment

Cerakote is used a lot in the gun industry.

Ill have to read more on improving cooling ability.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Made a big order from Blunt and Amazon yesterday to get my gauge setup started.

Is it worth monitoring A/F on a setup like this? I'm debating between a water temp gauge and an A/F gauge.

Comment

You already have a water temp gauge. Personally, i would want an AFR gauge on any boosted car.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Anyone know of an A/F gauge that looks similar to the OEM style gauges or the VDO Vision series?

Comment

Digital is the way to go if you plan on serious tuning.

Comment

I intend on digital but something with a similar typeface, design, and colors would be nice.

Comment

My air filter and IC fan arrived yesterday so I began mocking them up. My hope was to have the 10" fan mounted to the IC and controlled by a manual switch, otherwise it would get very little airflow. However, as you can see from the photo, there is not enough room! I can either fit the fan and no filter, or the filter and no fan :/ I really would have preferred the dry foam style air filter, as they work better than oil-gauze and are easier to maintain, but I might be stuck having to use an odd-size K&N universal filter just to fit in that small space. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=SN-2620
                    Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 01-22-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

dang, looks like a K&N oval filter should fit though

something like this maybe

7speedshop.com

Comment

Looks like this one might work. Only 4" wide on the narrow side: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RU-1550

Comment

This is what most guys use.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Interesting. I don't really care about the aesthetics, I was looking more for heat rejection. But I suppose I can save a few $ and try this stuff, then have it Cerakote-coated at a later date if I don't like it.

Comment

I got a nice big shipment of OEM parts yesterday including a new VCG, guibo, and tons of these!

Now before everyone freaks out about me being anal and buying OEM hose clamps, consider this: OEM hose clamps are not designed like the standard ones you get at Home Depot or whatever. They have several key differences.
                              1. They have raised ridge threads instead of cut slot threads. This means that when they get tightened around a soft hose, they won't cut in to it or chafe. The rolled edges also help with this.
                              2. They're made from actual stainless and not just 430-grade or galvinized
                              3. They're thin in width even at large circumferences, which is the only kind that will fit on many of the contoured OEM rubber couplings. OEM clamps, even 3" ones, are about 3/8" wide. Compared to the ones to you get from McMaster, which are about 3/4" wide. They wouldn't even fit.
                              4. They're 1/3 the price! Seriously, these cost me about $1.30 each. The equivalent from McMaster (hose safe stainless) was over $4 each.

So, time to put them to use! Using the assortment of 2" silicone couplers I purchased from www.siliconeintakes.com, I routed my charge piping from the turbo to the IC. 1x180*, 1x90*, 1x30*

Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Also on the docket was installation of my breather/catch can system. I spent quite a bit of time researching and reviewing what was out there. There are some great options from Mishimoto, but they're well over $100 and likely overkill for my application. I finally found a can on Amazon that I was happy with for about $60. Prime shipping FTMFW!

It comes as polished aluminum but I intend to hit it with a self-etching primer and then the same wrinkle black paint I used on the rest of the engine. The only chrome on this car is the exhaust tips and I intend to keep it that way :)

First step: make mounting bracket with leftover 14ga 301SS. Bendy bendy, drilly drilly.

Now mount bracket to factory m20 air box bracket, and attach can

Then run simple 3/4" hose from VC, and done!

Comment

Working...
                                X