My e30 is making a noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My e30 is making a noise!

The noise sounds like air whistling or exhaust escaping. It started a few months ago. I thought the holes in my catalytic converter was the source. I have a new exhaust system and I can still hear it. I have set up gopros all over the car and the best place to hear was the rear of the car. I removed the fan and clutch, the belts look good. Once I hit about 40mph in second gear with acceleration it starts to whine, it gets louder and higher pitched with more rpm. I can’t reproduce it unless I’m driving. Any suggestions? My dad suggested it sounded like metal rubbing on metal.

Assuming it makes the noise going straight down the road: Center Support Bearing (CSB) on the drive shaft, U-joint at the rear differential, or the rear differential itself. Maybe one of the half shafts?

Does it change when you turn or sway side to side? If so, could be wheel bearings or half shafts.

Sorry, no easy answers somehow you're going to have to narrow it down.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

The FAQ/DIY section is for staff-approved instructional posts only. Please do not ask questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
      X