No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just picked up my e36 3.2 rack today. Robert, just to clarify, you need a e30 knuckle or an e30 knuckle for the core?
    greg
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
      just picked up my e36 3.2 rack today. Robert, just to clarify, you need a e30 knuckle or an e30 knuckle for the core?
      greg
      Just a knuck for the core. I have one or two extra laying around.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
        Just a knuck for the core. I have one or two extra laying around.
        sorry, i meant to say e36 or e30
        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Boy did i have my share of this thread. lol

M52 |S52 Cams|E36 Rack Swap|GC Coilover Kit |. . . . . . . . . More To Come

Comment

Is that a factory non riveted knuckle? 12/83 production date and realoem shows nuts and bolts for it. I am swapping my rack out this week, in 20 degree weather.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907 View Post
              Is that a factory non riveted knuckle? 12/83 production date and realoem shows nuts and bolts for it. I am swapping my rack out this week, in 20 degree weather.
              You have the older 84' style just like mine, and this is what i was thinking about when the OP talked about putting spacers on the steering shaft.

The only way i can see you shortening it is if you cut the shaft in the midle and re weld it, or cut the end of the yoke on each end as much as you can and push it on the splines as high as it will go...

Or get the later style, if it retrofits?
              ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I got mine out today and it appears that I can just do away with the rubber bit and I should be fine ???? Dunno?

Comment

I got mine out today and it appears that I can just do away with the rubber bit and I should be fine ???? Dunno?
                  I guess, though i dunno what it will do to the dampening in the steering system...
                  It will gain you what? 1/2, 3/4 of an inch?

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

It would remove 3/4 of an inch from the knuckle, but the pin in the middle will have to be shortened and made a bit narrower. I dont really see a need for the pin since I am not offsetting it so I may just lop it off tomarrow.

But on another note that knuckle was a SOB to get off, I have just about rebuilt my entire car and removing the steering rack and that knuckle has to be one the of the dirtiest jobs I have ever done, power steering fluid was everywhere. But that knuckle was on there and had no intention of ever coming off. Luckily I had a BFH and a crow bar. A set of brass drift punches could come in handy too.
                    Last edited by nefarious7907; 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

But on another note that knuckle was a SOB to get off, I am just about rebuilt my entire car and removing the steering rack and that knuck has to be one the of the dirtiest jobs I have ever done, power steering fluid everywhere. But that knuckle was one there and no intention of ever coming off. Luckily I had a BFH and a crow bar.
                      When i replaced that rubber uni back when i first got the bimmer, i removed the coolant header tank out of the way to get better access.
                      I was flushing the coolant at the time anyways :D
                      Post some more pics up nefarious7907.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                        When i replaced that rubber uni back when i first got the bimmer, i removed the coolant header tank out of the way to get better access.
                        I was flushing the coolant at the time anyways :D
                        Post some more pics up nefarious7907.
                        Wow my english was broken and grammatically challenged in my last post.

But I removed a lot of stuff topside, but I ended up doing all of the wrenching from under the car.

Here are few disected pics of the the knuckle.

I am going to go chop the male portion off right now and see if I cant get my steering put back together.

Comment

Did you leave a stub of the males penis to stick into the plastic bush on the yoke? If you did, looks like you would have had to machine the penis's OD down a bit.
                          Any updates?
                          Has it all fit together?

Comment

Its going to be reinstalled here in a few minutes I just though I would post some pictures up before it goes in

I machined the unit down a bit and it fits snug in the hole

Comment

now that I got it back in I dont think that I had to modify it at all, but it looks like it will work just fine anyways.

Modding is over-rated FYI

Comment

now that I got it back in I dont think that I had to modify it at all, but it looks like it will work just fine anyways.

Modding is over-rated FYI
                                What? You didn't need to remove the rubber uni? Can you notice any difference without the uni?
                                Pics of install, this will be happening to my 84' shortly :)

Comment

Working...
                                X