Original interior option question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original interior option question

I’ve done some searching and I can’t really find any info. Originally when my mother purchased her e30 new she explained to me that the only interior options she had were color variety’s. This was in late 84.. she said if you wanted cloth interior you had to get a grey market car, there was no option to get cloth in the us at the time besides getting a grey market . So my question is in the late model e30 I assume dot in the us now allowed cloth since us spec cars now had cloth. Was cloth more expensive at this time ? Was it and option and vinyl standard?
    -His-
    87 e30 325i
    87 e24 m6
    05 e83 x3
    94 e32 740i 5spd
    -Hers-
    89 e30 325i
    18 f48 x1

That doesn't sound right. I think it depends on which model she was trying to buy. In 84-85, there were 318i's and 325e's. So the 325e's were the top dogs and pretty much "loaded" with vinyl or leather but the 318i's could be had with cloth seats, vinyl, leather and manual windows. Then in 86, the 318i was replaced with the base model 325 that could also be had with standard cloth seats. At the time, vinyl and leather were upscale and luxury items as were our beloved E30's, so many who could afford a BMW opted for these over the lowly cloth seats.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      That doesn't sound right. I think it depends on which model she was trying to buy. In 84-85, there were 318i's and 325e's. So the 325e's were the top dogs and pretty much "loaded" with vinyl or leather but the 318i's could be had with cloth seats, vinyl, leather and manual windows. Then in 86, the 318i was replaced with the base model 325 that could also be had with standard cloth seats. At the time, vinyl and leather were upscale and luxury items as were our beloved E30's, so many who could afford a BMW opted for these over the lowly cloth seats.
      Agreed.
      I had a buddy who had an 84 318i with cloth seating. It was spec'd as a NA car with everything matching NA standards.
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It was a 318 so it came with vinyl. She also told me that durning this time it was the “what we have on the lot is what you get” but this could of been the dealer she was at back then.

So cloth was standard equipment and vinyl was optional? I always thought it was the other way around

I owned a us spec 83 318i with cloth and manual windows a long time ago but I wasn’t sure the interior was original.
        -His-
        87 e30 325i
        87 e24 m6
        05 e83 x3
        94 e32 740i 5spd
        -Hers-
        89 e30 325i
        18 f48 x1

Comment

Vinyl or "leatherette" was optional on the 318i, but standard on the 325e just like how leather was standard on the 325iS,iC and M3.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
          X