Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine ID Help

Hello:

I'm just trying to id an engine I bought. All of my searching has told me to look at the numbers on the machined flat spot by the dipstick. However, I do not have a flat spot there, it's on the other side of the engine mount. And it doesn't have the series of numbers and letters like everything I found said it should. See the pictures:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google that number next to "bmw"

Comment

Engine ID Help

1289 575 is an i block
      There are many different engines that BMW produced but even more so there are different variations of certain engine models. Even when you get down to something as specific as s50b32 (s50 engine which is 3.2 liters) there is 2 sub branches : 326S1 01 A, Part #: 11 00 1405257, S50B32 326S3 02 A, Part #

Last edited by DaWildBeast; 05-11-2019, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWildBeast View Post
        1289 575 is an i block
        There are many different engines that BMW produced but even more so there are different variations of certain engine models. Even when you get down to something as specific as s50b32 (s50 engine which is 3.2 liters) there is 2 sub branches : 326S1 01 A, Part #: 11 00 1405257, S50B32 326S3 02 A, Part #

1289575 isn't anywhere in that book under the m20 section.

Is it unusual that the block only has that one number in the flat spot and not all the other codes?

Comment

Maybe this thread will help
          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

you can tell from the pistons
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

yeah, casting numbers don't really tell you much about what the block was machined into-
              looking at things like pistons, where the CPS is, casting number on the HEAD,
              how many bearings the cam has,
              etc, tells you a lot more.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X