Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
    you should weld around the cylinder also for that extra peace of mind
    We noticed that after the fact. The problem with that is the steel we used for the vertical support is nearly as wide as the bolt carrier tube, so if we did weld that area, we'd have to grind most of the well back off again to make the carrier fit inside the bolt location on they bracket. If this design is something we decide to start making, we'll just use a slightly smaller thickness for that part.

Comment

I just test fitted the brackets with the driver's seat in the car. MUCH more comfortable driving position, the elevated legs feels much better, it's even more evident now that the last design left the seat bottom sitting way too flat.

It does elevate the seat just a bit higher than before, leaving me a little less headroom. So now with my autocross helmet, I've got almost no room between the ceiling and the top of my helmet, so I may have to adjust my seat back position for autocross, but other than that, it's much better.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
        you should weld around the cylinder also for that extra peace of mind
        Like Josh said, we kind of realized it after the fact. We used what metal we had on hand, so if we make up a few sets of these, they will be a bit different to accommodate welding all the way around.

As they are now though, I don't think there is a strength issue. The way stress is applied to the tube, it would take a lot of force to break the welds that are there.

Comment

It's not something I'm worried about. Andrew's welding is VERY good. I had to beat the shit out of that one side just to break it free even after he'd just tacked the front verticals on for test fitting.

I'll get a few more pics of the seats in the car and what the seating position looks like when I pick up a couple of peices of hardware I still need to fully install them. Next after this, I'm going to start looking into making some kind of skirt to mount to the side of the brackets to hide everything, kind of like this:

I know those are actually side-mounts, but I want something with that kind of look, but more just to hide all of the brackets. I'm thinking of making them out of carbon fiber, we'll see what I can come up with.

Comment

Janderson... hook me up.
            PM me.

Comment

what do you guys think of these, should i pick them up

Comment

i have the same seats, if anyone is interested in purchasing them.
                selling my cars

sigpic-BMX and Sideways vehicles-
                Smoke tires, not meth.

Comment

Revivving this old ass thread because I pickd up a clean ass set of these bad boyz, and I want to make my own brackets. I am not sure which metal to use though, so I will need your guys' opinion.

I read a few pages, and did some research on a few different set of brackets, but material varies. I've read aluminum works, and so does steel.

Which do you guys think is the best option as for material? I would prefer not to have to weld anything, but I d have a neighbor that has a welder and can weld up steel for me. Cutting it may be the problem, but I think I will have the covered. If either material is fine, then I will just use what will be easier.

Also, does anyone have the measurements to make a set of brackets just for clarification? I will be taking my own, and doing the heights for personal preference, but what has everyone found to be the most comfortable for the amount of lean?

Thanks

Comment

Does anyone have any details on how to mount the Jetta GLI rear bench. I have a bench but I'm curious how you got the base to it flat on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                      Revivving this old ass thread because I pickd up a clean ass set of these bad boyz, and I want to make my own brackets. I am not sure which metal to use though, so I will need your guys' opinion.

I read a few pages, and did some research on a few different set of brackets, but material varies. I've read aluminum works, and so does steel.

Which do you guys think is the best option as for material? I would prefer not to have to weld anything, but I d have a neighbor that has a welder and can weld up steel for me. Cutting it may be the problem, but I think I will have the covered. If either material is fine, then I will just use what will be easier.

Also, does anyone have the measurements to make a set of brackets just for clarification? I will be taking my own, and doing the heights for personal preference, but what has everyone found to be the most comfortable for the amount of lean?

Thanks

The normal way to mount these is to purchase an adapter from Recaro or Wedge Engineering http://wedgebrackets.com/bmw-e30-cha...-brackets.html. If you go the wedge route, you should call them and ask whether they make brackets for the older style Recaro sliders. As opposed to what they show with the slider bolted to the top of the adapter the other style of slider has tabs bent 90 degrees at each end. Each tab has two or three mounting holes so depending which holes you use, you can change the cushion height or angle. The bracket for this type of slider has a steel tube with internal threads at each slider location. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-NOS-Vin...e40fad&vxp=mtr This guy is dreaming about the price. You can find them used for around $50/each seat.If you are determined to make your own, I think you should find a pair of trash BMW seats. You will need to cut the base framework somewhere above the sliding mechanism. Then you will need to fabricate and attach an adapter to the old seat base(bolt or weld) to which you can bolt the Recaro seat. If you're happy with your driving position, you'll need to match it with your adapter.

Comment

Thanks, I actually ended up making my own. I was the one who bought the seats from you recently. They are great!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
                          I'm not even using the stock VW brackets/sliders at all now, I took them off yesterday and threw them in the trash. They're a really shitty design.

I'm going to make 2 pairs of adapter plates and mount the stock E30 brackets to the bottoms of the Recaros, just like Brad did, shown above.
                          I know that this is an old thread but if you're going to use the VW Recaros, don't throw the bases away. They're worth money to guys looking to install after market Recaros in a VW. You can sell them for $100 and up on VWVortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...en-Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by suburbangeorge View Post
                            I know that this is an old thread but if you're going to use the VW Recaros, don't throw the bases away. They're worth money to guys looking to install after market Recaros in a VW. You can sell them for $100 and up on VWVortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...en-Classifieds
                            I plan on doing the Helios edition with my Pacific blue cloth. Used the brackets to make a bench seat in my rabbit pickup truck
                            -PNW-
                            currently hoarding parts and saving for more

Comment

Working...
                            X