• Show
Clear All

how fast would that have been in its day

good find dude

do it justice
    We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
      I hope you guys who don't live in the rust belt really appreciate how good you have it when it comes to finds like this.

We just bought a 1984 533i that was parked in a garage for over 20 years... and it's a parts car.
      This.

Older cars seem to be so much more abundant over there. Might be for the best though. God knows how many I'd have if I could actually find them here.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        you scooped a dinan turbo e28 m5 with a perfect interior.

you sick fuck.
        this. yup. SUB'D. what an amazing story. very happy for you. post lotsa pics you bastard.
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Dreams do come true!

Holy hell I'm excited. What a find.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Awesome. Sub'd.
            sigpic
            Gun control means using both hands
            Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

nice job on the find

Looking forward to seeing this at 5erWest one of these years:)
              Good luck with the project; will be looking forward to more details,
              jm

Comment

Ooooooh you lucky bastard.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

This is damn cool. Subbed for pics and progress
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Awesome story, I was giddy reading it :D I love a good old fashioned "barn find" like this! This car is definitely in the right hands. Austin, we all know you'll do this thing justice.

How much power did Dinan claim it made back then? Must have been a screamer in its day.
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Thanks, all. Just glad the circumstances were what they were and I could bring it home with me.

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                      Awesome story, I was giddy reading it :D I love a good old fashioned "barn find" like this! This car is definitely in the right hands. Austin, we all know you'll do this thing justice.

How much power did Dinan claim it made back then? Must have been a screamer in its day.
                      Aaron, Dinan claimed 450 WHP in 1988. The down side to this whole project is Dinan threw any of their information related to these old cars a long time ago. My initial intention was to set it up EXACTLY the way it came from the Dinan factory, but with the Turbotronic boxes being damaged, there's just no way to do it. With it having a brand new (never even ran) Garrett ball bearing charger, TiAl wastegate and BOV, there's no way the stock stuff can run those parts. On some sort of aftermarket engine management and the new pieces, I would bet that it will make closer to 550whp, but time will tell.

After having a few discussions with a couple different friends, who are well versed in the FI world (I have zero idea what I'm doing), there are two routes I can go with this project:

- Buy a refurbished 079 DME and get a Miller MAF and WAR chip and try to find someone to tune it. Won't be a 100% option, but would get the car running and driving damn good.

- Have a custom adapter built to run this engine on MS3, leave the stock distributor, gutted AFM, etc. Make it very clean and stealth looking, nobody would even know it's running MS, unless they popped off the DME cover. There are a few competent tuners in the area who could get it running well.

I am more inclined to go with the Miller MAF setup, but I know that the MS setup is well known by lots of folks and is fairly easy to tune, so I have a feeling this will be the route that I go.

We will see how long the turbo setup lasts on this car. At some point, I will most likely take it all off when it goes back to stock.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Aweeee fuk.

Going to keep it turbo'd or nah?

Such a cool car. Good on ya wanting to go back to black...Laguna looks terrible on e28s IMO.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Great find!
                          1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                          SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                          Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

I don't know how you do it god damn lol. Congrats. Take your time, engine management is the hardest choice to make. That s38 would suck to have to rebuild so boost low or not at all until you have some miles on it.

Comment

Awesome find, should be a really cool car. I would go with Megasquirt because there is a huge knowledge base out there, lots of current support, and the Miller guy has just never come across as a guy I'd want to do business with, in my opinion. I also think, if you want to go with a more advanced ECU alternative (which would certainly cost more money) that you would only be adding to the value of the car at this point.
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

This is too cool, I'm actually very curious to know how much you picked it up for. I love hearing these kind of stories!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X