Honda K24 swap interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
    The k24 makes more sense to me than the f20 for sure. Lower cost, double m42 power out of the box, mild bolt ons and you are now getting nice reliable HP without all the weight associated with other swaps.
    People will find out the hard way that a k swap will not be cheaper. I've owned seven swapped cars in the last 20 years. I currently still own 3, one being a f20c powered e30 and I can tell you 100% that most swaps will nickel and dime you to death......btw the k24 you guys can get "cheap" will only make 160whp.
    1993 BMW 850ci factory 6 speed
    1992 Honda Civic Hatch, built B16, turbo, and nitrous
    1989 BMW 325i, f20c swap
    1989 Honda CRX, built LS/vtec, turbo, and nitrous

Comment

Originally posted by KMiata View Post
      Hi guys, first post here but thought I'd chime in.

My name is David Calzada and I'm the founder of KMiata Inc. I also happen to be a big BMW fan (my daily driver is a lightly modded E46 M3, laguna seca blue on black, 6MT) and I also have a lot of track buddies with E30s, E36s, and E46s so I'm pretty familiar with the community.

Anyway, we have have been getting a ton of requests for E30 and E36 swap parts over the last few months thanks to our ZF and G260 trans adapters and flywheels. We offer a full bolt-in kit to install these transmissions in Miatas now, you can see more here if you have any interest.

Because of the obvious demand, we will be bringing K series swap support to the E30 and E36 communities. We have already sold many sets of adapter plates and flywheels to BMW owners looking to fabricate the rest of the swap on their own.

I can't say much more than this now, but know that your community is on our radar. We have become the RWD K series swap experts since we started our original Miata development back in 2013 and we're pretty excited about this.

I'm here to learn more about the E30 chassis and pick people's brains when needed. I will tell you that the E30 swap is MUCH simpler than the Miata swap, and now that we have a CNC mill on site we should have some cool things coming your way sooner than later.

I'll make a point to log in here regularly, but I'm also very quick at responding to emails to sales@kmiata.com if anyone needs anything.

Thanks guys!
      You just made my year with this info. Im subscribing to this post and cant wait to see what you come up with
      Originally posted by blunttech
      Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
      :shock:

Comment

Anyone know the full K24 weight?
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Hi guys, first post here but thought I'd chime in.

My name is David Calzada and I'm the founder of KMiata Inc. I also happen to be a big BMW fan (my daily driver is a lightly modded E46 M3, laguna seca blue on black, 6MT) and I also have a lot of track buddies with E30s, E36s, and E46s so I'm pretty familiar with the community.

Anyway, we have have been getting a ton of requests for E30 and E36 swap parts over the last few months thanks to our ZF and G260 trans adapters and flywheels. We offer a full bolt-in kit to install these transmissions in Miatas now, you can see more here if you have any interest.

Because of the obvious demand, we will be bringing K series swap support to the E30 and E36 communities. We have already sold many sets of adapter plates and flywheels to BMW owners looking to fabricate the rest of the swap on their own.

I can't say much more than this now, but know that your community is on our radar. We have become the RWD K series swap experts since we started our original Miata development back in 2013 and we're pretty excited about this.

I'm here to learn more about the E30 chassis and pick people's brains when needed. I will tell you that the E30 swap is MUCH simpler than the Miata swap, and now that we have a CNC mill on site we should have some cool things coming your way sooner than later.

I'll make a point to log in here regularly, but I'm also very quick at responding to emails to sales@kmiata.com if anyone needs anything.

Thanks guys!
          Sub’d

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by Fucatypr View Post
            People will find out the hard way that a k swap will not be cheaper. I've owned seven swapped cars in the last 20 years. I currently still own 3, one being a f20c powered e30 and I can tell you 100% that most swaps will nickel and dime you to death......btw the k24 you guys can get "cheap" will only make 160whp.
            Absolutely. The cheapest part of the equation is the engine, once you add in the cost of the adapter plate, custom flywheel, oil pan, pickup, 50 degree VTC gear (not necessary for the swap, but an easy swap while the engine is on a stand) intake manifold, exhaust manifold, RSX Type-S oil pump, Kpro, you're looking at maybe $4500+ of swap parts, not including the "while you're in there" wear parts like plugs, belts, clutch, flex disc, etc.

It appears that with a tune, 50deg VTC gear, Skunk2 manifold and Kmiata headers, that people are getting 220whp from an otherwise stock K24A2, which is certainly worth a look. If it were me though, I would probably want to step up to a PRB head right off the bat because although it costs additional money, you can just do it once and call it a day. Maybe then build a shortblock with aftermarket pistons so I can get really nuts with timing and high lift cams. This is my dream though, so if you don't like it, butt out. jk

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Still, E30/36 with K20 is by far the best combination you can get for <2000ccm Open Class racing. With i-VTEC it's far superior to F20C for racing application - especially on curvy, tight tracks. They are also MUCH more reliable.

This being said even the more and more common F20C swaps are absolutely dominating the <2000ccm class here, both in autox and circuit racing. K20 will be the next big thing here :devil:

E30:

E36 on a closed circuit:

I was about to build an 1997ccm M44/42 hybrid with ITB in my E36 to try to keep up with Honda swaps, but it's impossible. After spending 3500-3800$ I'd be at 200-210 BHP and this will be basically the end stage for M42.
              4500$ for a lighter, even stronger, more reliable, 20 years younger engine with variable timing is a great thing for racing application.

Comment

Fucatyper and FredK-

I can't argue with you on the cost because I've never swapped a car. But this whole project for me is for fun and to learn. My personal goals of a stock 205hp from a 2008 TSX seems the cheapest way to go (even if it's more than building an M20B25). I love the lightness and balance of the 318is/M3 and the K24's are already strong and powerful, so I'm happy with the total cost :)

Comment

Originally posted by rover215 View Post
                  Fucatyper and FredK-

I can't argue with you on the cost because I've never swapped a car. But this whole project for me is for fun and to learn. My personal goals of a stock 205hp from a 2008 TSX seems the cheapest way to go (even if it's more than building an M20B25). I love the lightness and balance of the 318is/M3 and the K24's are already strong and powerful, so I'm happy with the total cost :)
                  Keep in mind, that 205 bhp turns into 220+whp with a decent header, intake manifold, and a tune. All of which are required for the swap anyway. And we spin these things to 8200 rpm all day long on track. So it will make for a fun swap even in stock form.
                  David Calzada
                  KMiata Inc.
                  KMiata.com

Comment

idk the dimension differences but i would hope and adapter plate for an s2000 trans could be an option too. itd be nice to have the 6 speed and the s2k shift feeling. i wanted to swap my 318is but i may just make everyone mad and pull the s52 out of my M3 and put in a franken K.

excited to see the progress on this

Comment

Honda K24 swap interest?

Keep in mind, that 205 bhp turns into 220+whp with a decent header, intake manifold, and a tune. All of which are required for the swap anyway. And we spin these things to 8200 rpm all day long on track. So it will make for a fun swap even in stock form.

Why not offer a f20c swap package also?

Seems much easier and less adapter bs for a f20c swap than is involved to make the k engine go fr.

9k rpm and about 190-200rwhp is normal for f20c out of the box Oem computer with no fuckery required.

The 6 speed from the s2000 is a much more modern and serviceable transmission than the zf 5 or 6 speed options from bmw.

200rwhp doesn’t need any more trans than the f20c native item.
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                        Why not offer a f20c swap package also?

Seems much easier and less adapter bs for a f20c swap than is involved to make the k engine go fr.

9k rpm and about 190-200rwhp is normal for f20c out of the box Oem computer with no fuckery required.

The 6 speed from the s2000 is a much more modern and serviceable transmission than the zf 5 or 6 speed options from bmw.

200rwhp doesn’t need any more trans than the f20c native item.
                        A K24 is a much better engine than the F20C, there's a reason why S2000 owners are swapping in K24s left and right. Used F20 engine prices have also gone through the roof. The F20/F22 platform is nearly maxed out from the factory and has a very peaky powerband with no mid range. Even a stock K24A2 is a great upgrade for an S2000.

The K series gives much better N/A power potential for less money than the F, so we will be keeping our focus on the K for the time being.

There already are K to S2000 adapters and flywheels on the market thanks to the K swap S2000 community, so if an E30 owners wants to use that trans, there are options.
                        David Calzada
                        KMiata Inc.
                        KMiata.com

Comment

Honda K24 swap interest?

A K24 is a much better engine than the F20C, there's a reason why S2000 owners are swapping in K24s left and right. Used F20 engine prices have also gone through the roof. The F20/F22 platform is nearly maxed out from the factory and has a very peaky powerband with no mid range. Even a stock K24A2 is a great upgrade for an S2000.

The K series gives much better N/A power potential for less money than the F, so we will be keeping our focus on the K for the time being.

There already are K to S2000 adapters and flywheels on the market thanks to the K swap S2000 community, so if an E30 owners wants to use that trans, there are options.

I disagree. Out of the box the f is a much higher level of tune of engine

Even compared to a k20r the f20c has benefits. The k needs a f20c oil pump fitted and doesn’t go to 9k factory

I’m driving my f20c right now; have considered k24 but it doesn’t add to something I’d want in my s.

K20a4 or ctr turbo now I’m interested.

Plenty of people at the track prefer 2000cc and 9k vs f22 2200cc and 8k

Nobody in NorCal or Socal who is often at the track runs a k20/24 in an s2000.

Look at the podium s2000s at all the local and global Time attack groups

Left and right would be my friends and fellow competitors in s2000’s; your statement is bs.

Ap1 x3 with original untouched engines from the track this Saturday

F20c. I don’t see the left or the right k24 you bs of.

Right to left ap1’s with:
                          Jrz/kwv3/cr footwork
                          Nt01/vr1/rc1

I’ve heard a lot of hype about this legendary combination but the reality is that s2000 owners just buy another f20/22 because it’s BETTER.

Nobody is complaining of s2000 engine replacement cost who owns one; only those who don’t have the funds for a good engine will or may bitch that their hopes and dreams are being shitted on.

If the engine is too expensive for you then perhaps keep the m20. Its got more avail torque than a k24 could dream of.

Local Miata guys are doing eco tech swaps because the k Miata kits are overpriced for the results.
                          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 04-04-2018, 03:23 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I'm not here to argue K vs. F series, and I'm also not here to be told I'm spreading BS. What I'm saying has widely been regarded as fact in the Honda community for nearly 15 years (only occasionally debated by S2000 owners). We had these same discussions with the Miata crowd back in 2013 when we first debuted our K24 swap.

Ask any reputable Honda tuner and they will tell you the same thing. Yes, the F20/22 is better out of the box.

Add bolt-ons and a tune (necessary for almost any engine swap) and it's a different story. Do an engine build and there is just no comparison. The extra displacement plus VTC tuning goes a long way, not to mention how much more readily available and cheaper the K series is.

The S2000 is a great (and competitive) car, and your friends obviously know this. I have nothing against the car and I also have many friends with them.

If you or anyone else would like to build an F20 swap kit, more power to you. It's a great engine and would be a lot of fun in an E30. However, we're sticking with the K for the reasons outlined above.

Regarding ecotec swaps in the Miata - yes, it's cheaper than a K, but most Ecotec swappers see around 170whp from an LE5 engine. Our customers typically see 220whp with our K24A2 package, and it involves much less guesswork. It's really not an apples to apples comparison.
                            David Calzada
                            KMiata Inc.
                            KMiata.com

Comment

I'm not here to argue K vs. F series, and I'm also not here to be told I'm spreading BS. What I'm saying has widely been regarded as fact in the Honda community for nearly 15 years (only occasionally debated by S2000 owners). We had these same discussions with the Miata crowd back in 2013 when we first debuted our K24 swap.

Ask any reputable Honda tuner and they will tell you the same thing. Yes, the F20/22 is better out of the box.

Add bolt-ons and a tune (necessary for almost any engine swap) and it's a different story. Do an engine build and there is just no comparison. The extra displacement plus VTC tuning goes a long way, not to mention how much more readily available and cheaper the K series is.

The S2000 is a great (and competitive) car, and your friends obviously know this. I have nothing against the car and I also have many friends with them.

If you or anyone else would like to build an F20 swap kit, more power to you. It's a great engine and would be a lot of fun in an E30. However, we're sticking with the K for the reasons outlined above.

Regarding ecotec swaps in the Miata - yes, it's cheaper than a K, but most Ecotec swappers see around 170whp from an LE5 engine. Our customers typically see 220whp with our K24A2 package, and it involves much less guesswork. It's really not an apples to apples comparison.

your statement of S2000 owners swapping K series left and right is total BS

There are NONE that frequent the tracks in norcal. Zero;
                              there is a J32 swapped S2000 and some random LSX swapped S2000's. Nobody is wasting time to put a K24 or similar into the S2000

the J32 works well and can be ran competitively in circuit and time attack use. Out of the box it lunches the K24 on a budget

If there were any I would have seen them because I'm always driving my S with a F20c - Mine is the black AP1 pictured above.

K miata swap is cool but the K miata special parts budget required is more than a S52 or S54 swap

only so much 100lbs less weight can do VS BMW's 240/333hp out of the box.
                              Torque yes; 3200cc of it.

Comment

whp numbers are great and all, but how many torque do these 4 banger Honda motors make?
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X