Crank speed sensor or distributor wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank speed sensor or distributor wire?

Hi all, i have been rebuilding the head on my m20. Its all done now but has taken some time to do and i have forgotten which wire/plug goes where. Does anyone know which plug is the correct location in the pic i have below please? One of the wires is attached to the distributor cap and the other one is the crank speed sensor. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Robo90 View Post
    Hi all, i have been rebuilding the head on my m20. Its all done now but has taken some time to do and i have forgotten which wire/plug goes where. Does anyone know which plug is the correct location in the pic i have below please? One of the wires is attached to the distributor cap and the other one is the crank speed sensor. Thanks

I just went through this. One is the crank sensor and at least on the early e30 (mine is 06/87), the other goes to the sensor wire on spark plug wire 6. The closest one in the picture looks like the crank sensor connector. The farther one looks to be the other. You didnt say which e30 this was, so i did the best i could.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorx View Post
      I just went through this. One is the crank sensor and at least on the early e30 (mine is 06/87), the other goes to the sensor wire on spark plug wire 6. The closest one in the picture looks like the crank sensor connector. The farther one looks to be the other. You didnt say which e30 this was, so i did the best i could.
      Apologies, mine is an 89 320i. I think i will try that. Wondering what would happen if i got them wrong. Thanks for your input

Comment

If they are reversed it just won't start so you switch them. It's happened to lots of us without damage
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I had mine switched and the car didn’t start so it’s easy to know. :P
          Instagram
          Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
          F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
          E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
          E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
          E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

Thanks all of you for your help. Will give it a go. Just wanted to make sure i didnt wreck anything. Cheers

Comment

Im just behind you working on my 89 325i - did you sort this out?

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
                Im just behind you working on my 89 325i - did you sort this out?
                I have it all connected up but i havnt started it yet. Will be doing this weekend so will let you know how it goes

Comment

I started my car with the plugs installed as shown. Because the plugs are handed a picture is all you need (note which direction wire leaves forward part of sender) but the crank position sensor is driver side, #6 plug wire sender pass side.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5836.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	7201526Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	7201527

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
                    I started my car with the plugs installed as shown. Because the plugs are handed a picture is all you need (note which direction wire leaves forward part of sender) but the crank position sensor is driver side, #6 plug wire sender pass side.
                    [ATTACH]127499[/ATTACH][ATTACH]127500[/ATTACH]
                    I get you. I think i have it right now. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I just ran into the same thing. And this post definitely helped me. Explained differently:

hold both connectors (coming from the crank sensor and the spark plug wire) , such that both connector openings are facing you, and both connectors' wires are leaving the connectors in the same direction. The connectors are indeed different, and you can see that in this orientation.

When both of the connectors go into the metal bracket (as shown in the images above), the one is "upside down" compared to the other. These cars are old and the wiring is stiff, and in my car, I could tell what harness connector plugged into what sensor connector by observing how the wires were "molded" on the harness end, and matching them with the orientation of the sensor connectors when the sensor end connectors were in the metal bracket as shown above.
                      '87 325is [because racecar]
                      '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
                      '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

Comment

I can tell you if the cps is messed up, the car will not start; so be ready to replace it; like I did yesterday; and the car started right up:)

Comment

Working...
                        X