Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E38 Style 5's 16x8 - Best/Common Tire Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Bumping an old thread, folks.

I am very aware it's not ideal, but has anyone ran a 225/45 while running 18mm adapters, effectively giving you et5? I'm not worried about the rear, I'm worried about the front.

I have a GC setup, but I'm not going to be very low, just a functional height, much like IE3s or the like, maybe even a bit higher.

I have a roller and plan to use it.

Thoughts?
    Love to know this too.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

225/45/16 all the way

Comment

I'm debating if should go 225/45 or 215/50. I only have a slightly tweaked M42 with srick cams and COP set up so not sure if I'm gonna benefit from having all that meat on the rears. I'm also on a E36 M front and Z3 rear suspension. My previous 17" RC090 were rubbing a lot, so after rolling my fenders and getting thicker (hard) hats I got tired and went 16" route. Any suggestions?
        '91 318is Alpinweiss/Gray cloth Gone
        '90 325i Schwartz/Tan Gone
        '88 325ix Brillanrot/Blk Restored & sold
        '91 318is Alpinweiss/Tan Restoring

:twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
          225/45/16 all the way
          How are you fitting those with adapters?

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
            How are you fitting those with adapters?
            They won't fit in the front with adapters. Just do a 5 lug swap or have the wheels redrilled. I have an entire E36 M3 front suspension I'll sell you ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
              They won't fit in the front with adapters. Just do a 5 lug swap or have the wheels redrilled. I have an entire E36 M3 front suspension I'll sell you ;D
              E36 5 lug pushes out the hub too far, does it not? You'd be in the same boat as you would be with adapters. The only "right way" is to utilize E30 M3 suspension which is difficult to come by anymore.

I ended up sending my style 5s out for a fill/drill at VR Wheels. It was cheaper than adapters, anyway, and I don't have to worry about the front end sticking out way too far.
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                E36 5 lug pushes out the hub too far, does it not? You'd be in the same boat as you would be with adapters. The only "right way" is to utilize E30 M3 suspension which is difficult to come by anymore.

I ended up sending my style 5s out for a fill/drill at VR Wheels. It was cheaper than adapters, anyway, and I don't have to worry about the front end sticking out way too far.
                Thats what I thought. They will work with the E36 but you need 205 tires. I have seen it done.

Comment

I was thinking you could still get away with 225s in the rear with Ti trailing arms but I think I was mistaken. According to the 5 lug guide I have saved, "318ti hub is 5mm shorter, than Z3 hub. This is a hidden advantage/disadvantage of running 318ti TAs/hubs. On one hand, you are able to run lower offset wheels, and some run offset as low as ET20 (most ET23) with stretched tires and rolled fenders. Some even resort to running higher offset wheels with spacers."

Comment

This is a really good 5 lug conversion guide though in case anyone needs one: http://www.extradrei.com/?p=141

Comment

I wish someone had answered your question there AWDBOB as I am looking for the same only ET10 instead of ET5.

Bump, and away we go!

Comment

Bump

Comment

225/45/16 with 8mm spacers up front and 5mm spacers rear.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210625_081648 (1).jpg
Views:	922
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	10025360

1993 325iC
                          1998 M3
                          1987 535iS

Comment

Working...
                          X