Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do stretched tires compromise grip/handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a good article comparing lap times with different sized tires. Iirc the narrower tires were faster.
    -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
    2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
      You can track a stretched tire, drift cars do it all the time, will it make you faster? No. Basically there is sidewall rigidity, as stated above, hence why drift cars run stretched tires more often than not. Having too much sidewall though, will give you rollover, and will sacrifice grip and stability. Best to have a nice square setup for track.
      drifting isn't the same thing as tracking, when you're purposely trying to slide the car..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        drifting isn't the same thing as tracking, when you're purposely trying to slide the car..

Why isn't it? You do it on a track :)

I run stretched 195s on a 15x8. Not a huge stretch in most cases but meh. I run it specifically for less sidewall flex.

We are really splitting hares here (lol). a stretched 195 as opposed to a non stretch 195 will probably grip better if you're dealing with like a 70 sidewall. When you get to bigger diameter rims where sidewalls aren't that tall, it doesn't make as much of a difference. Floppy sidewalls make cars shimmy in corners and not retain grip well. The stretch isn't what effects it, the sidewall does. You shouldn't be using 60-70 sidewalls on a track anyway. But if you have to, stretch em. that's probably the only time it's worth it. Even then, you've dumped so much money into rims to stretch them on, get good tires to begin with.

TL;DR get 275s with no stretch, be happy.

Comment

because you're not trying to grip. you're doing the exact opposite.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You just want to argue with me today :) Despite the fact I'm agreeing with you.

My point is, if you have 195/70/14s as your ONLY tire choice. I'd rather have them stretched than not. It would help you grip int hat situation. In reality, this isn't true and for grip driving, there is virtually no reason to stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
              theyre 205/50R15. Yea, I too love the meaty stretch haha. But Johny Cash, where were you going w/ that?
              Meaty and stretch are two opposite things last time I checked.

Comment

Ever seen a fat woman? Stretch marks AND meat.

Comment

Hahahah. Sig'd ^ . And anyway, is that so? My point is not that theyre "chunky" in their width, but in their height. Most people envision "stretch tires" as tiny little rubberbands, I went with a lil taller of a tire. Looks old school jdm tyte yo.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
                    Whats this jibba jabba

On a productive note, has anyone read the recent mx5 tire comparo in grm?
                    Yeah, couldn't believe the way the RS-3 hammered the other tires.
                    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I'm not even sure what this thread is about anymore.

I found out yesterday my 245s are too meaty in the rear to tuck even with rolled fenders. Although, I'd fit them if I would take off the 1 inch spacers. But then my front track would be 2.5" wider on EACH SIDE than my rear.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
                        They are wheels, not "rims". Rims are the outer section of the wheel...
                        QFT

wheel
                        Noun: A circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move over the ground.

rim
                        Noun: The outer circle of a wheel, attached to the hub by spokes.

hub
                        Noun: The central part of a wheel, rotating on or with the axle, and from which the spokes radiate.

tire
                        Noun: A rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed around a wheel to form a soft contact with the road.
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

^ waste of time.. we all know what people are saying when they use the slang term for wheels... aka RIMS
                          GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

rims- not the rubber
                            tire- not the metal
                            wheels-rubber and tire together as a combo

lol
                            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                            Got Drop?? ;-)
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            But of course
                            E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Lol, that's why they stretch them ridiculously on purpose, and as Yoshi stated, they are technically on a track, not racing, but on a track. My point was more or less that you can, but it probably won't be beneficial. Also that the fact that they are driven hard on, clever word usage, shows that it isn't that dangerous to run them. Not my style but not really hating either.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                                It's really a horse a piece, and doesn't do all THAT much, But...

Stretching the tire takes up the sidewall flex it would normally have, resulting in a more rigid tire. Stretched tires have a lot less give, and are more likely to lose their grip in hard driving situations. But the other side with a straight wall, while having more flex and giving more feedback as to when it's going to lose grip with a more comfortable ride.

Unless you track it, you'll never really notice the instantaneous grip loss that can occur. But it will be less comfortable and more likely to bend/scuff a wheel.

Now, mind you, this is all dependent on amount of stretch too. A mild stretch can be a good thing for spirited driving with a tire that doesn't have a reinforced sidewall. But, those tend not to have the best grip out there anyways.

There are those that will argue tooth and nail that it makes zero difference.. It's the extreme examples that are the worst. But a little stretch never hurt anybody, and is common out on the track when you can't afford higher performing ones.

My thought is, and always has been. Use a wider wheel for what it was intended. A wider tire
                                Quoted for truth, every single word in this post.

Comment

Working...
                                X