Frank's E30 M60 V8 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGood View Post
    The OBC gets it's MPG info from the cluster, which gets it from the DME. Steve (hovernguy) makes a fully adjustable signal converter to calibrate the gauge.

http://www.seattlecircuit.com/fuel_signal.htm
    Justin,
    Perfect! Thanks!

Originally posted by E30M30 View Post
    Yes please :D I'll also give that thread a check again
    Shoot me your email and ill send the pdfover to you! Of course no charge.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Hi Frank
      I have an M62B44 swap myself, and am working on installind an OEM Airbox in the compartment (I had a CAI before, but want to get it stock looking as much as possible)
      Which box did you use? Do you have any close up pics or info on what you modifed, I'm having a bit of a hard time to fit.
      Thanks
      344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by naika View Post
        Hi Frank
        I have an M62B44 swap myself, and am working on installind an OEM Airbox in the compartment (I had a CAI before, but want to get it stock looking as much as possible)
        Which box did you use? Do you have any close up pics or info on what you modifed, I'm having a bit of a hard time to fit.
        Thanks
        cut the whole bottom plastics off little by little without reaching the filter itself until it fits lol thats what i did

Comment

It's easy job really, take the intake silencer away, cut bottom away and plastic-weld it back together while turning the "bottom pipe" around. Had a pic on it somewhere, though not online anymore.

It's a piece of cake, really. :)

Btw, E32 / E34 have the most suitable airboxes. Other models have much higher boxes (e.g. E31).
          - E34 M5 (x 2) -
          - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
          - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
          - E46 318i Touring -
          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Thanks guys
            I have an e32 box, I was able to fit it without cutting it actually, but it's a tight fit.
            I need to work on aligning the air vent from the box to the hole made for the air conditioning right behind the lights so that I get good fresh air ;)
            344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

Why did the accelerator need to be modified?

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                Why did the accelerator need to be modified?
                The modified brake pedal linkage is in the way of the stock accelerator pedal linkage.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Do you have any cooling issues with the E34 V8 radiator? What is it like on a hot summer day? I'm gathering parts for a swap here in Bangkok where it's 25~38 all year round.
                  As I've read on here, the Z3M radiator can be put to good use but they are hard to get here in Thailand. Any one had any luck with those aluminium radiators on ebay?
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew
                  sigpic

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                      Update:

I've decided to use complete E30 driveshaft and have them weld the (smaller diameter of the M60 Front half) onto the front half of the E30 as well as shorten it to the same dimensions as mentioned a few posts ago.

One thing to note, The M60 and E30 driveshafts are NOT plug and play. In fact, they are polar opposites in terms of spline-male/female joints, spline size, and center bearing installation orientation.

With that being said, this new installation methodology is more factory-like, maintaining the E30 driveshaft. It requires just the front half to be shortened, and I get to keep the "sliding characteristics" of the spline. Perfect.

FYI: the E30 Front half diameter is 60.00mm. The "small sections" of the M60 front half diameter is 60.00mm. Perfect cut and weld compatibility.

Thanks so much for all of your help. you likely saved me some money and alot of potential compatibility heartache.

See pictures below of both driveshafts side-by-side for reference. E30 on top, M60 on bottom.

Spline size differences. M60 is much bigger.

Great thread lots of useful info, just wondering if anyone can see these pictures specifically about the driveshaft discussion????

If yes what must I do to view them.
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X