- 3,8kg single mass flywheel with 184mm two disk AP-Racing Clutch
    - 2,93 Differential upgraded to 45%, custom 2 point mounting braket
    - K-Sport Suspension, every bushing is polyurethane, H&R Stabilizer,
    - T-parts angle kit (from sweden), with e46 steering rack
    - Full roll cage in the car, Bash bar in the Front and in the rear
    - Polycarbonate windows
    - fibreglass hood, trunk, sunroof, front and rear bumper, overfenders
    - Brakes are E34 540i with pedal box from OBP

For this Winter I´m currently planning on an LS3 Swap. I´m buying all the parts at the moment, and try to figure out what I need.
    Planning to run the LS3 out of a camaro with an BMW 530D gearbox, with an ABC-Clutch adapter kit.
    I would love to buy the whole sikky swap kit, but its too expensive for me. Planning on the garagistics/canton oil pan right now. The headers and the engine mounts I want to build by myself.

My english is not the best, so I have a little bit of trouble in the research about details of the LS engines. So I´m hoping on a little help from you guys, who did the swap already:
    - is there any place where I can find wiring diagrams of the engine? does the camaro have any canbus systems for the engine? I want to use the original ecu
    - are the mounting holes of oil pans and gearboxes the same on all ls1-ls3 engines?
    - did anyone try the canton 15-276 oil pan in the e30 till now?

more to come :-)
    thanks guys.

Timo
    Last edited by T-mo; 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM.

Conversions & Swaps - Pinouts and wiring diagrams - I have some pinouts for the LSx series engines. The pinouts are below as attachments, the diagrams are linked below. Keywords: Diagram, wiring, pinout, schematic, wiring, harness Diagrams 2003 Silverado 3500HD 6.0L truck...

I'm pretty sure all the engine mount and bellhousing holes are the same across all Gen III and Gen IV engines (everything in the LS family).

The oil pans are specific to the cars the engines were used in, though. An LS3 could have a Camaro or Corvette oil pan. You probably want the Corvette pan.

The crank trigger wheel changed from 24x to 58x going from Gen III to Gen IV... the LS3 will have 58x. The came position sensor changed a couple of times as well.

The computer hardware can be set up/tuned for whatever combo, though. HP Tuners and EFI Live are the common tuning packages. Does your tuner have either of those, or will you be self tuning?

Comment

Regarding the Canton 15-276, I have used it on my swap.

I initially used it without any modifications, it sat the engine about 40mm from the firewall. I then decided I needed extra clearance up front for puller fans, so notched it a further 15-20mm to sit the engine a little further back.

Comment

Hi Timo, welcome to the forum!

Can you post some photos and details on your OBP pedal box?

Thanks!
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Hey Guys, thanks for your answers!
          Sorry for the late response, had to much stuff to do....

@ The Dark Side of Will
          Thanks a lot for the wiring diagrams! I found the right ones for the 2011 camaro ls3!
          I still don´t really know which parts I will get with the engine. If I can get the original ecu, i will use it. I was thinking about a standalone ecu, but this is also an additional cost point. I could tune it by myself. ( I´m still studying engineering of cars at university, so thats the backround to my low budget)
          The only thing I´m worried about is if the camaro has a immobilizer (is that the correct word?), and if I could trick that system.

@KSR
          thanks for posting your experience! I will order the canton oil pan.

@jean
          I don´t have pictures from my car especially. I could do some pics, if you need. the pedal box is this one:
          http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Ki...l-Box-OBPKC003
          works perfekt in track use. only thing to optimize is the mounting of the throttle cable at the thottle pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by T-mo View Post
            Hey Guys, thanks for your answers!
            Sorry for the late response, had to much stuff to do....

@ The Dark Side of Will
            Thanks a lot for the wiring diagrams! I found the right ones for the 2011 camaro ls3!
            I still don´t really know which parts I will get with the engine. If I can get the original ecu, i will use it. I was thinking about a standalone ecu, but this is also an additional cost point. I could tune it by myself. ( I´m still studying engineering of cars at university, so thats the backround to my low budget)
            The only thing I´m worried about is if the camaro has a immobilizer (is that the correct word?), and if I could trick that system.

@KSR
            thanks for posting your experience! I will order the canton oil pan.

@jean
            I don´t have pictures from my car especially. I could do some pics, if you need. the pedal box is this one:
            http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Ki...l-Box-OBPKC003
            works perfekt in track use. only thing to optimize is the mounting of the throttle cable at the thottle pedal.
            Sick - if you could grab some photos of it mounted in the car I would love to see it. I have a different setup, and not really liking it so I am looking at other options to go with a 3 pedal box to keep the pedals more aligned together.

Thank you!

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by T-mo View Post
              I was thinking about a standalone ecu, but this is also an additional cost point. I could tune it by myself. ( I´m still studying engineering of cars at university, so thats the backround to my low budget)
              Factory ECU + HPTuners would probably be cost competitive with a pre-assembled megasquirt, even factoring in trans-Atlantic shipping for the ECU.

Comment

@The Dark Side of Will
                Thanks, I will look for more informations about that.

@Jean
                I made some pictures. Car is still dirty from the last drift event :p

Comment

Im not a huge fan of floor mounted boxes, but I have to say, that looks super serviceable/adjustable compared to the poorly-engineered Garagistic pedal box mount.
                  Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM. Reason: had to call-out Garagistic
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  My M60 V8 swap thread here
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

T-Mo - thanks buddy! Does that box come with the masters or have options to pick masters of different sizes to match the brake calipers / car for optimal balance?

Comment

Did you have to position the seat further back with the floor mounted box?
                      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

I was wondering about room also. How tall are you?

Comment

Timo. Knew a Timo from Hanover.... common name?

Nice car. Are there many LS swaps there?
                          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I´ve much too much other stuff to do, as I´m currently writing my bachelor thesis.
                            Unfortunately, I still don´t have the engine. I should get it in the next one or two weeks

@Jean: you can pick the size of your brake and clutch cylinders. In my case, I purchased it from a german seller. I could choos between 0,625" 0,7", 0,75" (no extra money) and 7/8" + 1" (costs a few bucks more). purchased it here:
                            https://www.rennsportshop.com/de-fah...Universal.html

@Pootis, dueyferg: I have adjustable rails on a Recaro Profi SPG seat. I just go for the position at the end of the Rail because I´m 1,93meters. Thats 6″4
                            I guess.

@TimeMachinE30: thanks! not that common, just normal I guess ;)
                            we don´t have many LS swaps, because all the guy´s want to keep the cars on the road. there is absolutely no way to get the car street legal with an non BMW engine. I had my M60 swap street legal few years ago, but It´s tough to go through the inspection. In Motorsports there are like 2 or 3 (E30 swaps) in germany, but I´ve never seen an LS3 swap. They are all ls1 or ls2.
                            The biggest problem is to get all the parts cheap and fast if something breaks. That might also be a point we don´t have them that often.

Comment

Hey Guy´s
                              I finally got my engine:

I´ll start to collect the parts missing on the engine from now on.
                              Planning on:
                              - original LS3 Intake from filter to manifold, Water-pump, starter motor
                              - BMW 4cyl. alternator
                              - opel zafira power steering pump (not belt driven)

any suggestions about ignition coils? there are too many to choose :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X