Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 lug swap is done. Pictures and a writeup inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO 18s look out of place on an E30, although I have seen some M3s pull it off quite nicely. Get 17" ACS III wrapped with some 245/40/17 sized rubber!! I forgot how sick your car is, those pics were a nice reminder.
    ________
    Yamaha XV920R
    Last edited by Wes325; 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM.
    - 318is 4 life

Comment

It looks fantastic. I say stick to getting M Parallels though, but thats just me. And you have PM
      Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by Z3Jonathan
        Looks awesome Erik! Is there any truth to the rumor that E36 parts messes up the front suspension geometry? I'm talking about issues other than the wheel not being centered. I recall someone saying that if you put E36 suspension, the car would want to jack itself up and down as you moved the wheel from lock-to-lock at stop. Sounds like hog wash to me.

Jonathan
        I don't know what that guy's problem was. I have no idea where he got his info or why he told me that bullshit, but it is totally false. This car does nothing funky. I suspect the guy saw that I had all the parts needed to do the conversion and wanted to persuade me not do go through with it so he could snatch them up cheap.
        2004 SL600 - Current
        ------------------------
        2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
        2004 M3 SMG - Sold
        1999 540i Sport - Sold :(
        1989 325i coupe- Sold
        1988 325is M50 M-tec - Sold :(

Comment

damn, thats hot.

i love the way that looks, makes your car look 10 years newer... the mtec 2 helps that also ;)
          98 M3/4/5

Comment

I don't think the wheel centering issue is a big deal. E30 M3 front wheels are also like that particularly if they do not have the offset bushings. Even with the offset bushings the wheels tend to be closer to the rear of the fender.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

That there is nice, real nice. I hope to do the same one day.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

Pics of the control arm bushings?...or does that cost money?
                Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

Major hotness.

Now moved up many places on the must do list.

Comment

Originally posted by lukasbmw
                    Originally posted by Z3Jonathan
                    Looks awesome Erik! Is there any truth to the rumor that E36 parts messes up the front suspension geometry? I'm talking about issues other than the wheel not being centered. I recall someone saying that if you put E36 suspension, the car would want to jack itself up and down as you moved the wheel from lock-to-lock at stop. Sounds like hog wash to me.

Jonathan
                    I don't know what that guy's problem was. I have no idea where he got his info or why he told me that bullshit, but it is totally false. This car does nothing funky. I suspect the guy saw that I had all the parts needed to do the conversion and wanted to persuade me not do go through with it so he could snatch them up cheap.
                    :up: :up: :up:

I was thinking today that even if the M Roadster stuff didn't wok geometry-wise up front, you could always use E30 M3 struts/A-arms up front, E36 M3 brakes (?) and still use the reinforced ///M Roadster trailing arms in the rear.

Can't wait to see it with some new wheels to show off those brakes!! ///M Parallels or some ///M System wheels would look sick.

Jonathan

Comment

Not to tread on your newly attained turf, but what was the approximate cost?

Comment

$1,200 after I sell my old parts. If I had done this myself and not bought some unneeded parts, I probably could have almost broken even!
                        2004 SL600 - Current
                        ------------------------
                        2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
                        2004 M3 SMG - Sold
                        1989 325i coupe- Sold

Comment

which parts do u need for JUST the e36 brake swap? (needing 5 lug rims is now a given)

is it just the:

calipers
                          caliper bracket
                          rotors
                          hub
                          new lines

can u give a list of the nuts-and-bolts-small crap too?

I have like 3 other people interested in this swap, 2 of which are mechanics, we're just looking to see who has a parts list to make this easier.

any help wud be great, thx!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                          HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                          **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

I don't understand what your asking

The swap is either complete or not at all. You can't do just an E36 brake swap or a 5 lug swap.

Every little nut and bolt is listed. Remember, the main M coupe and E36 parts all bolt directly to the E30 stuff so any small nuts and bolts can be reused. Just make sure any parts you get used have all the correct bolts (EX: Bolts that hold calipers on).

Also, you may need to upgrade your Master Cyl. I did this a year ago knowing a 5 lug swap was in the future. Bimmerworld.com sells a custom 750il brake booster designed to work with the E30.
                            2004 SL600 - Current
                            ------------------------
                            2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
                            2004 M3 SMG - Sold
                            1989 325i coupe- Sold

Comment

I'm sorry, maybe my question wasn't so good...

Reading your respsonse I see: "Remember, the main M coupe and E36 parts all bolt directly to the E30 stuff..."

I see u are using the e30 strut housing, which is what the hub/rotor/etc is mounted to. So I should basically be good to go with:
                              -bimmerworld's master cyl upgrade (750il u say?)
                              -e36 rotors
                              -e36 calipers/pads
                              -e36 caliper brackets
                              -e36 hubs
                              -misc: SS lines and stuff

Seems crazy that the newer, better stuff just BOLTS ON, no problem.

Please let me know if you have any words of wisdom or whatever, and if I am getting this right. thx.

Sorry it's late and i don't know if i am missing anything or looking like an idiot. :oops:

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                              HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                              **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

no he is usuing the e36 strut. The struts for the e30 and e36 are different. The e30 has shocks that you insert into the strut housing which is part of the lower hub/spindle unit. On the e36 the shock/strut is one piece and unbolts from the steering knuckle. Therefore you need the whole assembly from the e36

Comment

Working...
                                X