No announcement yet.

School me on the E70 x5 Diesel....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! I'm interested to hear your initial impressions as well as some reports after you've had it a while.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

You're going to have fun paying x5 part prices.

My old e53 was a nightmare, albiet different gen.
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post

Yeah the stuff I'm seeing on realoem are a little scary. But not any worse than the parts for my '08 Audi.

But being so, I have a buddy that works at the X5 plant in South Carolina that gets me discounted parts for being an employee- so that'll help out a bit.
        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
        '95 BMW e34 525i
        '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
        '92 Range Rover Classic
        '90 Range Rover Classic
        '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
        '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
        '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
        '67 Pontiac LeMans
        '24 Model T Depot Hack
        ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post

It's really not that different. My e53 has been great, and parts are not any more expensive than any other German car.
          Originally posted by Sonny
          I am a meme for our community.

Comment

The SCR (urea) systems are pretty problematic, but should usually be covered by some type of emissions warranty after the standard warranty expires depending on the state you live in, some components federally . Seen a few with heavy carbon issues, nox sensors, dde and so on.

But they drive great and have a ton of torque.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
              It's really not that different. My e53 has been great, and parts are not any more expensive than any other German car.
              Do you have a 4.4i with air ride?

In the couple years I owned it:

Water cooled alternator = List price 3k, reman for $600
              Aux Fan = $700
              DSC unit = $500 + labour to program
              Rotted out brake lines (the rest of the car was immaculately clean with no rust), cant bleed brakes without a GT1 = need to drop rear subframe to access lines labour $$$ and need to massage ABS to bleed
              Rear coolant hose which is very not accessible friendly = $1500 in labour (dad driving in US)
              2 window clips resulting in finding windows in door = clips are cheap, but pain in the ass
              Shifter switch
              Buttons in the center console started falling off
              Rather pixel free dash (see others much worse)
              Coolant tank hole x2
              Coolant hose burst
              Ect, Etc.

Air ride problems from what I read were imminent, thank god I got out before that stuff started to go.
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Egr delete. Eliminates the carbon build up crap!

Comment

Well I found the one! Just picked it up 2h away in New Jersey. I know own more diesels than gassers!

2012 X5 XDrive 35diesel with 54k and really taken care of by the PO. Traded in the Audi and put $6k down. Walked out the door at 22k- with monthly payments I can afford. Feel like I got a good deal!!!

Man, this thing is a beast. I feel like I stole it- it's seriously really 'too' nice for me. The torque is insane, quick off the line and nice to have the dual scrolled turbo- can really pick itself up from a moving standpoint on the highway. Getting 22 city and 26 highway currently.

It's loaded with the convenience, premium, sound and sport packages. The only thing it is missing is the Technology package which adds the heads up display and adaptive lighting- other than that, you name it- it has it!

A few things that really grabbed my attention- The panoramic sunroof is basically a convertible, BMW App's/iDrive is pretty cool with the Spotify integration. Backup camera does both rear view (with 3D obstacles) and the birds eye view rear view (cameras on the trunk lid and side view mirrors) is really sweet.

No CPO so it is out of warranty. Going to be looking at some other warranty companies to see what I can work out- just in case.

I would like to get a set of winter and summer wheels for it- and try to get away from using runflats. The Michelin Runflats on it now were installed only 10k ago. Also looking into this Carly "BMWhat" app for OBC coding- seems pretty simple and straightforward, a little nervous to start changing stuff until I get used to the car.

Anyway- here it is! Thanks for everyones help- especially DJ Buttchug for getting me some additional background on the maintenance.

My last view from the Audi. :/

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                  '95 BMW e34 525i
                  '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                  '92 Range Rover Classic
                  '90 Range Rover Classic
                  '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                  '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                  '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                  '67 Pontiac LeMans
                  '24 Model T Depot Hack
                  ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Working...
                  X