Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to drop weight from an e30 convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah soft top seems a lot lighter than the hardtop would. I can barely lift it myself buy that's probably because its awkward. Just build a little frame from aluminium and wrap a trap around it lol #weightreduction

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      the entire soft top and frame is actually very heavy. the frame is steel. i would guess it weighs well north of 80 lbs. i would say it weighs just slightly less than my hard top does. however, with that said, it seems like a pretty silly proposition to remove it in order to save weight. as mentioned earlier, it is a cabrio for gods sake. just enjoy it as the cruiser it is.

the good news is that it is attached with only 6 bolts. you can take it off easily. good luck getting it to line up properly when you go to put it back on.

I removed it when I had the canvas replaced its very easy to get it to realign if you mark where is was previously. At the time I didnt have a hard top and didnt think to weigh it when removed

When your competition has 150-200 hp more than you every possible pound counts. When I go turbo next year I wont care as much about weight. lol
      Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
      Cab
      billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
      : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
      88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Working...
      X