2.7i Cluster swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.7i Cluster swap questions

I still have not installed my "i" cluster into my 2.7i and i searched for the forums for steps on doing that and havent found anything.
    I have the i head sitting in my garage that i want to have rebuilt before putting it in by e30_dad on instagram , but after that i'd like to put it in.

Could i use the 'I' cluster with the wiring that the eta cluster is already attached to?

I know that the fuel guage is slightly different on the I models than from the ETA's .

Could someone list any steps / let me know if i can use the stock wiring from the ETA before i ship it off to get rebuilt so i know? Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
    1998 e36 328ic/5 -
    Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
    1967 2002 parts car
    1994 318iS junked.

Here is a fabulous writeup from e30tech.

Prob have better luck in the electrical subforum

1986 327i
    transaction feedback
    DIY thing
    meh

Comment

you don't necessarily need to swap the whole cluster. unless you have a really early eta (84-85?), all you need to do is swap the coding plug from the I cluster into your e cluster.

If you do swap the whole cluster, you'll want to transfer the fuel gage from your e. as far as the wiring, there may be differences in the really early cars but for the most part all E30s are the same.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

On my car I just swapped in the 7K tach and the i coding plug. The coding plug had BMW19 or something like that on it.
        1992 Daihatsu Rocky SE
        1988 BMW 325 SETA

Comment

I swapped a cluster from a 91 318i into my 85 325e. An I coding plug was needed, and I swapped over my odometer/speedo so my miles would stay the same. No issues with wiring for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=modernist;4513624]Here is a fabulous writeup from e30tech.

Prob have better luck in the electrical subforum[/QUOTE
            Thanks! & to the others : I wanna swap the whole thing bcos the one in there right now may be causing problems.
            1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
            1998 e36 328ic/5 -
            Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
            1967 2002 parts car
            1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Strictlyeta.net

Pretty sure there is a section about wiring up the tach
              BMW tech
              Umass Amherst
              05 wrx sti

Comment

Put your fuel gauge in the I cluster, install cluster and enjoy. That's all I did for a 7k tach in my 86 ETA.

Comment

Working...
                X