M20 super charger kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
    I really just have zero use for centrifugal superchargers like the vortec and rotrex. The reason these exist is ease of install only. And you can say "yeah, it's got a supercharger." Too expensive for people who want bang for buck, imo.
    I don't disagree.

My dealings with Vortech left me with some disdain for them as a company, and really the performance upgrade (for what it retailed) was just not worth it or usable.

If I ever were asked to do a forced induction install again, I would go turbo.

Perfect example I always use is the Chevy Cobalt SS. Started out as S/C for the first few years, but later went to turbo, and it was more powerful (260 hp vs 205 hp) and ultimately more upgradable.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

i think a twin screw stroker would be awesome
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

A roots or twin screw is making power off idle.
        But if it's moving enough VOLUME to make boost at WOT off idle, it's
        going to be the size of a haybale.

Superchargers have sizing constraints, just like turbos. They DO make constant
        volume at constant revs, which is nice. They DON'T have the ability to match load, like a turbo does.
        Except for those wacky variable- pulley drives that they came up with a long time ago.

Or Alfa's oil- pressure driven one...

There are limits to everything. A lot of times it comes down to application and preference...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the SC M20 builds that made it into real life. We all have that soft spot for the M30: original, smooth, epic torque. I'd love to have all of those perks without the size and inefficiency. Stuff that feels buff and NA just feels way better than turbo setups imo. My dream is to get a twin screw on my 2.7i, only used ones that are about the right size are from the srt6 crossfire or clk32 amg. Not impossible one day I find one.

Comment

Do you guys think doing a super charger setup or turbo set up is worth it over doing say an s52 or an m60 swap? Won't they probably end up costing about the same?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dirtythirtyboy View Post
              Do you guys think doing a super charger setup or turbo set up is worth it over doing say an s52 or an m60 swap? Won't they probably end up costing about the same?
              I don't know too much about forced induction, but I do know you're comparing apples to oranges. Just because different setups make similar numbers doesn't mean the different setups arrive at those numbers in the same way. That's why the forced induction guys are talking about about the merits of big turbo numbers versus instantaneous boost from a SC.

I hope to go turbo one day on my m30 and run low boost to make a modest ~300 hp to the wheels and have never even considered a SC as an option. That being said, I drove a friend's Works mini with a SC and it was definitely fun to have that power instantly from such a small revvy engine.
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

m20 sucks, swap it.
                ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                  m30 sucks, swap it.
                  :p
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just say screw it and throw an LSx motor in it..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Neither sucks. Get one of each.

How does a moderator get away with such useless posts? if those came from anyone else, they'd be deleted.
                      Originally posted by Andy.B
                      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

How does a moderator get away with such useless posts? if those came from anyone else, they'd be deleted.
                        I don't think it would get deleted. Not really R3V's style.

I personally liked the M20, and wish I had Turbo charged it over the 5.0 swap. If I snag another, that's what will happen. The m30 was nice in my 535 as well, should have turbocharged that one... But I broke a rocker and wasn't trying to fix it in an apartment lot. That was an awesome care though, 3.5+5mt was great.
                        No E30 Club
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

oh my god dude, I was giving him crap. relax..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Go over to garagistic and price out the m60 swap.. including the price of the motors and trans ($500ea) available to me and engine management I think i quit at $5200 and there was still more to buy (hoses, clamps, etc).. Granted that was just buying all of the swap stuff, not fabbing my own. However, there are a few kits you could purchase to go FI and be cheaper than that.

Originally posted by dirtythirtyboy View Post

1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                              Go over to garagistic and price out the m60 swap.. including the price of the motors and trans ($500ea) available to me and engine management I think i quit at $5200 and there was still more to buy (hoses, clamps, etc).. Granted that was just buying all of the swap stuff, not fabbing my own. However, there are a few kits you could purchase to go FI and be cheaper than that.
                              But it will be a hell of a lot more reliable, considering this will be my daily driver.. And if I don't want to blow my motor, I have to stick to low boost. So after my 9psi of boost gets boring, there's not a whole lot more o can do except turn the boost up... And blow my bottom end haha

Comment

Ask Ether-D (great dude by the way) about how many miles he has on his setup.. And then go read the V8 threads about ppl having to replace the chain guides before they can put the motors in and how much that costs on motors that are just barely over 125k mi. AND THEN look at all the ppl boosting 200k+mi M20s with no issues for thousands of miles..

The defense rests..
                                1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Working...
                                X