M20 Head install fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    Jb weld isn't going to do anything. Might as well run it as is if you're that desperate. I wouldn't want bits of epoxy running through my engine clogging up oil passages. Plus you don't want that chunk of aluminum flipping around when it falls off.
    This.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I would reach out to local members and see if anyone can help you out with a loaner head or a good deal on one quickly. If you were in my area I would gladly lend you a usable cylinder head to get you back on the road. I'm sure there are r3ver's, or e30 folks in your area who would do the same.

Maybe get in touch with the BMWCCA chapter in your region?

Comment

My guess is you didn't have the head timed to the bottom end and you probably have bent valve(s) as well
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
        4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

May run it up to a shop and have someone tig it back on.

Comment

Since this is going to be your DD i would be weary of welding it back on or anything remotely close rotating assembly... If reliability is your goal then just get another head and bite the bullet. IMO, salvage what you can because you will definitely have to start from scratch if that welded on piece were to fall off in the future; a side note is the risk you putting your bottom end as well if that were to happen.
            #Treadlifematters

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              Jb weld isn't going to do anything. Might as well run it as is if you're that desperate. I wouldn't want bits of epoxy running through my engine clogging up oil passages. Plus you don't want that chunk of aluminum flipping around when it falls off.
              All of this...and m20 heads are so fuck cheap.
              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
              ~ '87 535
              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                My guess is you didn't have the head timed to the bottom end and you probably have bent valve(s) as well
                That makes the most sense. Did you set the bottom end and head to TDC before assembly?
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

i pulled head again this afternoon. my friend gave me a head that he had and i am going to swap everything. it has a small blemish, will upload a pic soon to determine if it is detrimental or not

Comment

this is it
                    Attached Files

Comment

head is not warped. i checked it, id like to avoid the machine shop if possible

Comment

Clean it up, do you have a true straight edge? I'm talking thick piece of steel designed to check for warpage. Set it on, shine a light on the other side type deal.

If it's 100% sure to be true, clean and use.

Also get the timing on the head close, and the engine to TDC before install.
                        Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 10-29-2015, 07:49 PM.
                        No E30 Club
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Also - make sure to use washers this time. They'll spread the load across the face of the landing.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

im going to pull some out of a 91 m20 tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by soates4 View Post
                              head is not warped. i checked it, id like to avoid the machine shop if possible
                              Sounds like you're going to be doing the job 3 times.
                              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                                Sounds like you're going to be doing the job 3 times.
                                Milling isn't a requirement, assuming you know how to properly ensure that the surface is true.
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X