R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Touring Technical & Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
cory58
E30 Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 472
Muffler for 320i Touring

Realized yesterday that my Touring needs a muffler. Did some online research this morning, and am finding conflicting info on the correct part and interchangeability with mufflers for USA models.

My Touring was produced in late 1988, for the German market. I've always assumed it does not have a catalytic converter, but don't know for sure. Is that correct?

Real OEM shows a muffler for cars with no cat that has a single outlet. The other muffler listed doesn't specify with our without cat, but it has dual outlets. The current muffler on the car has dual outlets, but I have no idea whether it's OE or stock.

The part number for the dual outlet muffler cross references to a 325e on some USA sites and a 325i on other USA sites.

Does anyone know if a muffler for a USA 325i will fit a 320i Touring? If not, is there another USA model for interchange of the part with my Touring?

Thanks, Cory
__________________
1992 325i 'vert
1988 320i Touring
1977 530i
2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
2001 325i - R.I.P.
BMWCCA
E30CCA
cory58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
crash n' burn
Wrencher
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 212
I was tracking that all facelifts had cats. 325i muffler will definitely fit.

On that note though, I'm talking to a friend's of mine that does exhaust work. Only trouble were having is finding a dual in dual out muffler that's not a Flowmaster. Any competent shop can put a muffler on there correctly
__________________
-89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
-15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
roguetoaster
No R3VLimiter
 
roguetoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Port Republic, MD
Posts: 3,181
Any USDM stock M20 system should work just fine. My 320i had a catalyst, twin pipes, and a twin muffler exit.

Why not just get a standard aftermarket (Bosal, Walker, et al), should be under $200 shipped? After all, it's not like the M20B20 is suffering from an insufficient exhaust.
roguetoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Eric
R3V Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to Eric
I have one here that the owner might sell. It's a 320i touring muffler/center section.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
cory58
E30 Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 472
Many thanks for the responses! Good news that a 325 muffler will bolt up to the 320.

roguetoaster - Yes, Bosal is the plan. No offense to my Touring, but it does not deserve the Eberspaecher that I just put on the cabrio.

crash n burn - Are you looking for an aftermarket sound? I've found plenty of stock retrofit mufflers. As rouguetoaster mentioned, Bosal and Walker are the most common low budget options. Your "any competent shop" is a funny coincidence. Thought I'd try MP Motorwerks to install the muffler on my cabrio, because they are close to my house in Charlotte, and supposedly a BMW specialist. After 2 attempts, they still couldn't figure out why the muffler is vibrating terribly against the heat shield or spare tire well. Gerald McNealy at Touring Car diagnosed the problem without even seeing the car.

Eric - Thank you for the offer! Assuming the 320 muffler is used (not new), I'm not sure it's worth shipping it when a new Bosal is $180.

Cory
__________________
1992 325i 'vert
1988 320i Touring
1977 530i
2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
2001 325i - R.I.P.
BMWCCA
E30CCA
cory58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
Eric
R3V Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory58 View Post
Many thanks for the responses! Good news that a 325 muffler will bolt up to the 320.

roguetoaster - Yes, Bosal is the plan. No offense to my Touring, but it does not deserve the Eberspaecher that I just put on the cabrio.

crash n burn - Are you looking for an aftermarket sound? I've found plenty of stock retrofit mufflers. As rouguetoaster mentioned, Bosal and Walker are the most common low budget options. Your "any competent shop" is a funny coincidence. Thought I'd try MP Motorwerks to install the muffler on my cabrio, because they are close to my house in Charlotte, and supposedly a BMW specialist. After 2 attempts, they still couldn't figure out why the muffler is vibrating terribly against the heat shield or spare tire well. Gerald McNealy at Touring Car diagnosed the problem without even seeing the car.

Eric - Thank you for the offer! Assuming the 320 muffler is used (not new), I'm not sure it's worth shipping it when a new Bosal is $180.

Cory
True. This one is from italy though, so it's completely rust free!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
crash n' burn
Wrencher
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory58 View Post
crash n burn - Are you looking for an aftermarket sound? I've found plenty of stock retrofit mufflers. As rouguetoaster mentioned, Bosal and Walker are the most common low budget options. Your "any competent shop" is a funny coincidence. Thought I'd try MP Motorwerks to install the muffler on my cabrio, because they are close to my house in Charlotte, and supposedly a BMW specialist. After 2 attempts, they still couldn't figure out why the muffler is vibrating terribly against the heat shield or spare tire well. Gerald McNealy at Touring Car diagnosed the problem without even seeing the car.

Cory
Ha..that's terrible. I'm looking to do a nice oem+ build on my wagon. Ideally I'm going with ITBs, a mild cam, and maybe...just maybe a 2.8L bottom end. I want to go with a nice exhaust that will support that. Was hoping to run IE long tubes, a dual 2" piping, X section, and dual in dual out muffler. Haven't found any good mufflers with 2"dual in/out though.
__________________
-89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
-15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
D.Martijn
Wrencher
 
D.Martijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Belgium
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory58 View Post
Realized yesterday that my Touring needs a muffler. Did some online research this morning, and am finding conflicting info on the correct part and interchangeability with mufflers for USA models.

My Touring was produced in late 1988, for the German market. I've always assumed it does not have a catalytic converter, but don't know for sure. Is that correct?

Real OEM shows a muffler for cars with no cat that has a single outlet. The other muffler listed doesn't specify with our without cat, but it has dual outlets. The current muffler on the car has dual outlets, but I have no idea whether it's OE or stock.

The part number for the dual outlet muffler cross references to a 325e on some USA sites and a 325i on other USA sites.

Does anyone know if a muffler for a USA 325i will fit a 320i Touring? If not, is there another USA model for interchange of the part with my Touring?

Thanks, Cory
They introduced tourings from 1987 and BMW started installing catalytic converters on all E30s since 1987 so your touring should have one I guess?

Pretty sure all 320i tourings had dual outlets so the one fitted to your touring is stock.


From E30wiki:

On M20 engines the exhaust manifold has six branches, ending in a twin-port outlet, with the same design being used on both 320i and 325i models.

320i and 325i systems are interchangeable as long as they are of similar ages. In the BMW inventory, the centre sections of these two models are the same, and the pipe bore is identical; 45mm. However, on the 325i the rear exit pipes are 60mm compared to 45mm for the 320i; this has no impact on the performance of the system, since all other pipes are 45mm.
__________________
325iX Touring

Instagram
D.Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
cory58
E30 Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Martijn View Post
They introduced tourings from 1987 and BMW started installing catalytic converters on all E30s since 1987 so your touring should have one I guess?

Pretty sure all 320i tourings had dual outlets so the one fitted to your touring is stock.


From E30wiki:

On M20 engines the exhaust manifold has six branches, ending in a twin-port outlet, with the same design being used on both 320i and 325i models.

320i and 325i systems are interchangeable as long as they are of similar ages. In the BMW inventory, the centre sections of these two models are the same, and the pipe bore is identical; 45mm. However, on the 325i the rear exit pipes are 60mm compared to 45mm for the 320i; this has no impact on the performance of the system, since all other pipes are 45mm.
Great information! Thank you. That also explains the smaller outlets on my touring muffler, compared to the USA 325i muffler.

Cory
__________________
1992 325i 'vert
1988 320i Touring
1977 530i
2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
2001 325i - R.I.P.
BMWCCA
E30CCA
cory58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC