R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Off Topic Lounge > Politics and Religion

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #3091
Melon
E30 Modder

Telling anyone based on the color of their skin to 'go back home.' is fucking shitty.

As far as hating on the US, well, it's a free country and they use strong language to describe it. Even Trump said how bad things were on the campaign trail, no one told him to 'go back to his home country.'

Ultimately, it's a shitty thing Trump did, just add it to the pile. It's mostly noise.

House passed a bill approving $15/hr for minimum wage.

Meanwhile the real threat of automation looms on the horizon, wage stagnation continues, and we have a shortage of skilled laborers. Raising the minimum wage won't go any further, but talk about polishing the brass on the Titanic.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #3092
Melon
E30 Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesE30 View Post
Hypothetical: Since this is the Trump thread, what are his chances of re-election as it stands right now. Trump vs the field. I think itís 60/40 Trump for the win. What say you all at this point.
If the Dems can put up a moderate candidate (Buttigeg and to a lesser extent Warrn for example) they have a real shot. Abandon healthcare and student debt forgiveness, and focus on continuing economic growth. People like Biden and Harris only seem to widen the political divide.

Bernie gets young people to pay attention and vote, I'm ok with that. Even though j agree with his whole 'The entire system is fucked, and need to be redone' mantra, I don't think his way is it.

Another possibility, even though unlikely, is the Liberterian party puts forth a strong candidate and sways conservative voters. Would lead to a Dem president, but would get Trump out.

But, I never thought he would win, I thought people would see him for the joke that he is.

I was wrong.
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #3093
z31maniac
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title

Send a message via AIM to z31maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronus View Post
a hundredth of the holocaust is still 120,000 people though
You apparently missed the point as well.

America has not created Nazi death camps. The immigrant situation is terrible, but comparing it to genocide isn't even anything approaching reality.

www.gutenparts.com
One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:24 AM   #3094
decay
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
You apparently missed the point as well.

America has not created Nazi death camps. The immigrant situation is terrible, but comparing it to genocide isn't even anything approaching reality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide_Convention

Quote:
Article 2 of the Convention defines genocide as

... any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
ó Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, Article 2[4]
1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
current:
1985 323i baur (project to resume soon...)
2013 ninja 300 (way more fun than a car)
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #3095
cale
R3VLimited

Once again intent escapes you, hell it's even in the text you've provided.

Quote:
any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
There is no intent to destroy anyone, the intent is to detain and deal with anyone who shouldn't be in your country. Children are indeed being separated as an act of a deterrence, the effectiveness and morality of which can be questioned, but the categorization of that action is not.

Something something forest through trees.

Last edited by cale; Today at 09:41 AM.
cale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #3096
decay
R3V Elite

well while we're being patronizing, how do you claim to know the intent of people in power in another country?

not that your answer actually matters, because apparently you also missed the intent of the genocide commission in the first place; recognizing the mechanisms via which it is committed.
1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
current:
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #3097
decay
R3V Elite

...and now that i've had that little rant at your attitude out of the way, it's the impact of the actions that matters, not the intent.
1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
current:
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #3098
z31maniac

Quote:
So have 120,000 people been sent into gas chambers to be murdered on the border?

Where are these gas chambers exactly?

www.gutenparts.com

Old Today, 10:13 AM   #3099
roguetoaster
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
...and now that i've had that little rant at your attitude out of the way, it's the impact of the actions that matters, not the intent.
Legally speaking, intent is generally more important than a result. Imagine the difference between running over a person who darted out from between parked cars (not in CA of course), and intentionally running someone over with your car.

As far as a determination of intent, we generally gather that from a group consensus, and I suspect the group consensus would agree that detention facilities and their conditions are wrong, there is in actuality no intent to cause those people to be killed.
roguetoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #3100
z31maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Where are the death camps? Where are American Military Forces sending people to die, in a genocide? We all know and admit the situations at the camps suck, but it's not a strategically carried military campaign against immigrants.

Keep up this ridiculous narrative, then wonder why the dipshit in the office now, will win again.

On the spectrum, Reeeee, I don't understand how some of you don't get this.

www.gutenparts.com

Old Today, 10:40 AM   #3101
cale
R3VLimited

Quote:
well while we're being patronizing, how do you claim to know the intent of people in power in another country?
I don't, a little bit of rational thought must be given and I think occam's razor plays a role too. Is it more likely that Trump is using this tactic as a means to enforce border effectiveness, or is it more likely that it's a guise for the extermination of a particular race?

Quote:
and now that i've had that little rant at your attitude out of the way, it's the impact of the actions that matters, not the intent.
I could be convinced to agree with this if the impact truly lived up to the claims that are being presented here. You've time and time again likened Trumps administration to the Third Reich, when in fact nothing they have done has even come close to this. The intent is in fact more relevant because until there is evidence to suggest we're going to evolve into more and more extreme measures (up to and including extermination), there is no reason to suggest it is going beyond this. Your argument looses all traction for "ermagherd holocaust" when it doesn't evolve into anything close to it, which it has not. If we know the intent we know how far things are going to go relatively speaking, and so far the intent is quite clear.
cale is offline   Reply With Quote