Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door chime aftermarket potential?

Anyone here seen this yet?

One of our awesome fans, Chris NG made this incredible video, and door chime, that plays our 8 Bit Universe cover of Africa, by Toto! Check it out!Feel free ...

It's becoming my latest e30 pipe dream to have a classic tune play in 8-bit as I open my car door. As stupid as it sounds, I'd pay a pretty penny for someone to start making 8-bit door chime sound tracks, someone please make this happen

ps: please don't take this too seriously, I got a serious kick out of the video and thought it was worth sharing
    Last edited by vtechnik; 03-19-2018, 12:59 AM.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

ha ha ha, that's funny

Comment

If I'm going 8 bit, I'm doing Mario Brothers or Castlevania, not Toto.

https://youtu.be/zsmhzElw19o?t=82

My friends run the Louisville Arcade Expo every year. This is exactly the kind of thing that I can't believe they haven't already done.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

I did a little research and found out that it's actually not that hard to do. My door chime stopped working a while ago so i'm going to pull it apart soon to see how it works exactly. It would be cool to have a diy posted on how to do it cheap.

This youtube channel converts songs into 8-bit if anyone wants to get started on ideas for their door chimes lol.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

that would be badass to have a diy for it. I would do something guns-n-roses, maybe. knocking on heaven's door or something, I think

Comment

Def Leppard “Gunter Glieben Glauten Globen”

Comment

here is how you do it.

looks easy enough.

Comment

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5510420...UaAhnUEALw_wcB

If you buy this, and pull the internals it's easier. Then gut the stock door chime and fit as much internals as you can into the stock door chime.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

I keep getting tagged on facebook for this. Ahahah - it's all good fun!

BUtttttt.........This guy is about to step it to a world of hurt. His kickstarter is "trending to" just shy of $30,000. So 600 units.

He's made one, and hacked it together. One. Now he has to make over 600 of them to make people not hate him. It's not going to happen. Trust me.

It's what's called on kickstarter "pit of despair". Ten of something is easy to make. 50 gets to be a huge PITA. 100, is almost impossible unless you team up with someone that does manufacturing. 300? Isn't 3 times as hard as 100, it's more like 1000 times when you only made one. 600? You bury your head in the sand. Most people at that point take the money and run. That's what this guy will do. Unless he bucks the norm.

I wrote about it in 2015. https://hackaday.com/2015/10/19/why-...ick-your-butt/
                  Last edited by george graves; 03-24-2018, 04:35 AM.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Yeah without a doubt that guy will be neck deep in a lot of door chimes soon lol... but I guess thats what gimmicky diy's are for

I'm about to buy that recording card, or some chinese playback module, maybe there will be a diy soon, maybe.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Haha. Every time I see that video I have to watch it. Can't wait for you to figure out how to do something similar in an e30.
                      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

man... I missed the kickstarter :(

Comment

My link is a DIY.....

What are they worth if i make some. They are not difficult to make.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                            My link is a DIY.....

What are they worth if i make some. They are not difficult to make.
                            i would pay $35 for a Toto Africa chime

Comment

$35 hey.

Probably $20 in parts and a few hrs on the first one and a bit less on everyone after that.

Dunno. Might be a stretch to make 15bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X