what would you do to the engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would you do to the engine?

Well after pulling off the head to see the damage of a skipped timing chain there is some damage to the pistons. What do you think and what would you do with the motor.

We just got the car this way and here is what we know.

- engine quit going 65mph (due to skipped timing chain?)
    - all intake valves are bent
    - engine had 1.5q of oil in it when i drained it
    - had new tensioner installed
    - motor had about 150k miles
    - timing guides are broken

Judging by all of this info what would you do? get a new/used engine that ran or replace the head, guides, chain etc and drive it?
    Right now the head is off and the front timing cover is almost off other than the front crank bolt.

I guess that depends on what you are planning to do with the car. It would be a lot cheaper to get a whole used engine out of another car. Of course then you may have to deal with other unknown issues on the new motor.

If you rebuild your current engine you will have essentially a new motor that should last a long time. The timing rebuild alone will cost between $400-$600 for parts. A rebuilt head can easily cost as much and then you have the work that should be done to the long block as well. Depending on how far you go and what you expect from the engine it could easily cost $2000-$3000 for the rebuild.

Comment

I am not rebuilding a motor. Should i keep this one with the pistons in the condition they are in and slap a used head and fix the timing stuff or swap in a used motor. the car is cheep and is staying stock. just a cheep daily driver car.

Comment

I would try to find another engine for a good price. But if you don't have time to shop around for one then I would rebuild yours like you said. Its going to be $400 - $600 for sure though, maybe more.

Well unless you only plan to replace the guide rails and not do the rest of it.

Comment

I'd be concerned with the rod bearings at this point, especially with a sudden impact such as that.

I've thrown used heads on many timing belt snapped M20's, but the damage on that M42 certainly outweighs what I consider reusable.

Comment

Working...
          X