Stuck Lower Oil Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Lower Oil Pan

I'm pulling off the lower oilpan to check for loose upper pan bolts... and can't get the bugger off! I'm guessing someone RTV'd her up there (!!!)

I took out 16 11mm bolts. Can't see any other bolts. I tried knocking her around bit with a rubber mallet.... doesn't budge a bit. Tried prying lightly with a 2x4 against the steering rack... but that didn't seem terribly smart.

I see that there are three tabs on the pan (two on front one on back of pan.) The tab on the back was broken off by the DPO. Looks like the tabs could be useful, but not sure how. Is there a special tool for knocking the pan off?

Any advice on getting that bugger lower oil pan loose?

Thanks again.

Jason

go around it with heat gun. and try the rubber mallet again.

it should come of without using the heat gun.

are u sure u got all bolts?

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

it should come of without using the heat gun.

are u sure u got all bolts?
      Thanks for a quick reply ZiMMie

16 bolts came out which matches the 16 bolt holes in the new gasket. I'm guessing that's all of them. Any hidden bolts? I don't have a heat gun that will heat an oil pan (It's bloody cold out) and a torch would probably start an oil fire....

I can bolt her back up and refill with oil, start her up and run her for 20min....

Any other suggestions in case the above doesn't work? Thanks again

Comment

Dead blow hammer...
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Isnt there an aluminum cover/support that covers the flywheel and acts as a trans support of sorts? I would assume that has some bolts in it as well
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
            Isnt there an aluminum cover/support that covers the flywheel and acts as a trans support of sorts? I would assume that has some bolts in it as well
            not bolted to the lower pan though. go buy a heat gun, its close in price to buying more oil, and a heat gun is a useful tool

Comment

A heat gun and DeadBlow hammer did the trick. ThanX!!! No bolts in the pan but there was a bit of Timing Rail plastic.... bummer.

As a Public Service Announcement.... Go easy on Lower Pan gasket cement / RTV folks.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X