Kayak trip, anyone else do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak trip, anyone else do this?

Anyone else do any kayaking, more day tripping on river and lakes than whitewater stuff, just curious?

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Been wanting to for a long time. The cost of Kayaks has thrown a wrench into the idea. Spendy things for being plastic.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

From a post elsewhere and I'll post it here since you have some interest. Maybe some inspiration?

Any of you guys do any kayaking, canoeing? Would like to see pics, hear stories, share experiences on the rivers, lakes, etc. For years I have enjoyed going to the river and canoeing, but over the last year or so have enjoyed kayaking so much that I bought three of my own and I'm going to pick up one more kayak to round out my collection.

I am now working on planning a trip to include camping on the river, fishing, and "living off the land" for a period of a few days. I would like to know if anyone else does this sort of thing so I can pick your brains for information, advice, etc.

My kayaks are Old Town Dirigos (120/12ft and 140/14ft), and I LOVE them! They are some kickass yaks and if anyone is considering buying a kayak, you should absolutely consider these! Unless you're into the whitewater thing and of course you'd want an altogether different type kayak.

I will take plenty of pics next trip, but in the meantime, here are some pics from my last day trip with my girlfriend (we had a great time!):

Don't know these kids, they just happened into the pic.

She was a very brave soul here, I dared her to go into this little "cave" so we could get a cool pic, and I gotta say, I wouldn't have wanted to do it, there were spiders and all sorts of creepy crawlers under there, I couldn't believe she actually did it!!(Truth is, I didn't actually expect her to do it!) The pics were terrific of her, she did great!

Comment

Having a motorboat, I can say that it would be quite enjoyable to get out on the water without the noise. With that in mind I think I would only enjoy it if it was on a body of water where there aren't motorboats allowed or isn't much motorboat activity. When I'm out on the lake I take notice of the fellow paddlers but there are many people that don't. Think it would be fun to bring along a lunch, 6pack, fishing rod, and maybe a few other things for a day trip with someone...
        1988 325i Vert
        1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

The next one she has her top off amiright? amiright? :)

Comment

I've done several 2-3 day trips. Longest one was about 35 miles down the Delaware.

Haven't been recently, though. Too much work and school :(

Wow! 35 miles? Seriously? And how long did that take? I would assume it's relatively rapid moving water?
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by h0lmes View Post
              The next one she has her top off amiright? amiright? :)
              LOL, I actually had one pic of that, sorry, it's "not included". ;)

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                Been wanting to for a long time. The cost of Kayaks has thrown a wrench into the idea. Spendy things for being plastic.
                Yes this

And the fact that I am never home in the summer (outta state working) and what not.
                Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-23-2009, 11:06 PM.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Ok, expensive is of course a relative term, but I get that. However, I don't think $500 -600 is a lot of money to invest considering the benefits. I paid $750 shipped for my 140 and traded a Glock 19 for the 120 (about $500 value). Sooo worth the investment imo. There is nothing like being out on the river with a buddy or girlfriend or my daughters and enjoying the outdoors while relaxing, unwinding, simultaneoulsy getting exercise and clearing the mind of all the day to day "junk". It is so good for me. Definitely worth nominal investment.

Comment

I've been looking to get into it myself too, but it is a little cost prohibitive. However, my friend has one that he lets me borrow from time to time.

A kayak trip would be amazing, considering I am heavily invested in backpacking gear and go as often as I can.
                    Instagram
                    sigpic
                    Current: 99 M3
                    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

You could probably rent a kayak for a weekend. There are places all over that do it (at least here in WA). Then if you like it, get your own.
                      BTW, I love kayaking, oddly enough I have only done it in salt water. Kayaking in the San Juans kicks ass. I also did a Kayaking trip in Catalina when I was a kid, that was the poop.

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

I wanna learn to kayak. Pops has one up in the garage that I can't touch. I don't know the first thing about kayaking but it's a kevlar Necky Arluk 3, blue and white. Full tour. 18ft Onno paddle, 17 1/8th oz. I'm slowly gonna earn these, I think if I kayak enough I might get these as a gift since his back is messed up now.
                        Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

i hate canoes, they feel so unstable and shitty. my family has a two-person old town kayak that is the shit. every summer we go upstate ny to the adirondacks and you can kayak miles on the huge lake we stay on. or put it on the car and drop it in a pond some place.

they're really fun and worth the investment, plus the two man can get crankin too! its fun to kayak to a hiking trail, hike up hike down and kayak back. lots of fun work
                          Originally posted by blunt
                          i called my 17 yo paperboy "sugartits" in a christmas card 3 years ago. he never came back and im not joking.

Comment

In TN, Kayak + Pabst + Friends = Good times

Excellent fred!

Comment

So what's the idea here - you park a car at both ends of the river and paddle on down?
                              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Working...
                              X