Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had the new Hankook RS3 ver 2 on track ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had the new Hankook RS3 ver 2 on track ?

Wanting feedback on the compound changes before I buy them. This is for my weekend/track car that I am building, it is either these or the Nitto NT01 but the Nitto are about $100 a set more. Thanks

I've run a set of 225/45R15 last year into this year. They're very predictable and handle heat very well. I had a set of V1s a few years ago but only used them for autocross. When they get hot they drop off predictably. I try to run them around 37 hot.

The price is definitely right. I haven't tried DOT-Rs but NT-01s are faster. It all depends on whether you're trying to get faster lap times or just do track days for fun / education.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Choice of tires should be considered relative to experience level.

I have driven both the RS3's and NT-01's on track and both are very good for different purposes.

RS3's - Great tire for someone doing HPDE's and still wanting/needing to learn car control / have some audible feedback. You can drive these tires to/from the track - they do good in the dry, decent in the rain and will last a long time (Ran these tires with a Chump Team at VIR in a 24 hour race with quite amazing wear). Not sure about the different in V1 versus V2 other than increase in treadwear rating to be accepted in more venues for grassroots/amateur competition.

NT-01's - a nice DOT-R that has limited life (but definitely greater than a Hoosier or a Hankook R-Comp) - shouldn't be driven to/from events as you would be wasting the life...i.e. un-needed heat cycles. They stick quite nicely and can take a ton of heat cycles - I run these as well as 3 other friends of mine - really good bang for the buck. Less/no audible feedback - you're going much faster when you make mistakes - so choose this if you have some seat time under your belt.

If you haven't done any DE's or only a few - I'd say buy the RS3's. If you're an advanced student (some groups would say Level 3 or 4 ..or B & A Level) - you're probably already liking R-Comps to play with. I have driven RS3's on a car in Instructor Group, A Group etc.. and say they can definitely hold their own.

I see you're in Charlotte - feel free to send me a private msg and we can chat if you like - you can even look at some New NT-01's I just ran at Barber 2 weeks ago and the wear on them.
      Nitin G. Shanbhag
      BMWCCA #101510
      76 2002, 88 M3 Racecar, 88 M3 2.5, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 Trackbeater , 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Comment

I agree with your statement, I have been using RA1's for years, I ran in the A group at BMWCCA HPDE's but I have been restoring my M3 the last couple of years and have not been on track, there has been a huge advancement in the extreme tire category hence the reason for my question and the price is certainly right,

Comment

Originally posted by cdeason View Post
          I agree with your statement, I have been using RA1's for years, I ran in the A group at BMWCCA HPDE's but I have been restoring my M3 the last couple of years and have not been on track, there has been a huge advancement in the extreme tire category hence the reason for my question and the price is certainly right,
          Well...i'm guessing you would be into the NT-01's then - I find it difficult to "play" at HPDE's with RS3's, Direzza's etc...when most of my friends are on R-Comps.

That being said - I tow to the track, don't swap tires at the track...and my track life is much easier than years ago.

So...the other X-Factor is if you are into swapping tires at the track..or will tow to the track - I know I'm getting lazier as the years pass and not much into full wheel swaps...I will do it...but not as much as before.
          Nitin G. Shanbhag
          BMWCCA #101510
          76 2002, 88 M3 Racecar, 88 M3 2.5, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 Trackbeater , 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Comment

We run them on the ChumpCar, they are pretty dang good for the price. Lots of life and easy to drive hard. Good grip in the rain too in the first half of their life. That said when it came time to buy tires for my E46m3 DD/HPDE car I went with R888's as in the bigger sizes the RS3's aren't as cost effective.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

NT01s are fine to drive to the track on. You're not adding heat cycles just driving down the highway. You may wear them out a little faster but do you think 5 20 minute sessions of sliding around or a few hundred highway miles are going to be the bigger factor?

Hoosiers I would NOT drive to events on. I tried to drive home on a worn out set once, I got about 3 miles down the road and changed em back, lol.

Comment

I am already there - lazy, I do not change tires/wheels (RA1's were fine) or brake pads (carbotech do fine when cold) and I drive to the track so I do not have to maintain a tow vehicle and trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  NT01s are fine to drive to the track on. You're not adding heat cycles just driving down the highway. You may wear them out a little faster but do you think 5 20 minute sessions of sliding around or a few hundred highway miles are going to be the bigger factor?

Hoosiers I would NOT drive to events on. I tried to drive home on a worn out set once, I got about 3 miles down the road and changed em back, lol.
                  While you could drive NT-01's to the track, they aren't great in the rain and the closest track is 1.5 hours. Unlike Cali we actually get rain, so that makes it more of a gamble. There is also the risk of a puncture, etc. You can easily fit 4 wheels and your weekend track stuff in an e30 even with a roll bar, so if you have other wheels for regular street use driving to and from on those and swapping at the track is a better idea.
                  88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                  We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

the less prep you do at the actual track, the more energy you'll have to drive. Lately I've been driving to the track (~90mins) on nt01s, it's a lot nicer unpacking and packing 200lbs less crap and swapping 8 less wheels and tires. that includes rain driving as it seems the draught lifts whenever I attend an HPDE.

Comment

Amen to that. Nothing beats just rolling the car off the trailer though.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Having someone ELSE roll it off the trailer beats that.

I watch with envy...

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

NTO1'S hands down the best. I have had pretty luck with the hankook's but can't compare to the Nitto's.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

yup, if you are trying to compete in class, run RS3s.

But if not, NT01s with the right hot psi are much quicker
                            Harp

Comment

Working...
                            X