*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
    I know I have seen LED needle kits out there before. Why not go with something like that instead? This is a bad example but maybe point you in the right direction.

https://visual-performance.co.uk/das...kits-202-c.asp
    This is nice. I wish the middle didn't glow though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone done them on an E30? I know this’ll sound crazy to you guys, but pulling the needles off the gauges scares me a bit. Back in the day I did a fair amount of indiglo gauge faces and like 30% of the time when you pulled needles off they didn’t line up right again. I like this cluster and would like to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
        har har
        Wow, I didn't even notice that. It wasn't my intentions but it worked out that way.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
          Has anyone done them on an E30? I know this’ll sound crazy to you guys, but pulling the needles off the gauges scares me a bit. Back in the day I did a fair amount of indiglo gauge faces and like 30% of the time when you pulled needles off they didn’t line up right again. I like this cluster and would like to keep it.
          Bavarian restorations is on here and I think he is gregsM. He has been tearing these clusters apart to restore or customize for a while now. And I am sure he could give you some tips to ease your worries.

As for me I just use an interior pry tool with a bend in it and gently pry up after marking with tape where the bottom of the needle rested and a piece where the top of the needle rested.

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

So, one unfortunate part of building a car over time instead of all at once is that even when things look good, you might need to take a step backwards to take a step forwards. In this case, it’s the carpet. I had to pull out all the freshly wrapped/painted parts.

The factory carpet has thick foam to “level” the floor glued to the back. To get it off in one piece I took an old blade for my vibe saw and ground the teeth off so it was basically a putty knife.

A) I want to use loop carpet

and B) I want to make the carpet kit similar to how the stock Amazon’s is. In separate pieces. Since my machine can’t bind carpet, I’ll be cutting/layout a few pieces at a time and taking them to my buddy to get the needed edges bound. The rear piece needs no binding so it’s the first to go in. Next is the trans tunnel which only gets bound around the back of the trans tunnel then basically two long floor mats that are bound around three sides (the fourth tucks under the sill plates).

I started with the rear and tunnel pieces first. I’ll get the tunnel darted and bound then trim the floor pieces.

Before anything goes in for the final time, I’ll do a bleach water wipe down of the floor, wire brush any surface rust and put on some converter, then bleach, steam and extract the foams to kill any germs.
            Last edited by adam.nonis; 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

If you made a template of the carpet I am sure you could sell them. Hell I would be in for a black one if you ever did it.

Comment

If you made a template of the carpet I am sure you could sell them. Hell I would be in for a black one if you ever did it.

I’d be happy to make patterns, but the way I’m making my kit isn’t how an E30 carpet works, plus there’s companies who make molded E30 carpet kits. My want A) for loop carpet, B) for Amazon style carpet and C) my twisted reasoning for always considering it “cheaper” to make stuff myself is the only reason I didn’t buy a kit.

Comment

I’d be happy to make patterns, but the way I’m making my kit isn’t how an E30 carpet works, plus there’s companies who make molded E30 carpet kits. My want A) for loop carpet, B) for Amazon style carpet and C) my twisted reasoning for always considering it “cheaper” to make stuff myself is the only reason I didn’t buy a kit.
                  The companies who make those molded carpets are pretty much not worth it. Obviously I haven't tried all of them but of the aftermarket ones I have tried none of them fit properly and they were thin and cheaply made.

The carpet kit you are making looks like a properly molded kit with thick carpet. Hence my statement. My plans now are to just to bite the bullet and buy a new carpet from BMW.

Comment

If we ever meet Adam, I am buying you a beer just because of all of the enjoyment and inspiration I have gotten from your build.

Comment

If we ever meet Adam, I am buying you a beer just because of all of the enjoyment and inspiration I have gotten from your build.

Deal.

Comment

Ditto! This stuff is just amazing to watch. Will you bring it to the E30 picnic?
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          Ditto! This stuff is just amazing to watch. Will you bring it to the E30 picnic?

I don’t think I’ll be bringing it this year. I think last year was my one year shot. Not sure though. I might ping Lance and see what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

Lance says he’d let me in again, I just wouldn’t be in the featured five, so I’d need to roll in with a crew to park with pals. He says there’s about 40% turnover in people at the picnic so there’d be new eyes to see it.

Comment

Lance says he’d let me in again, I just wouldn’t be in the featured five, so I’d need to roll in with a crew to park with pals. He says there’s about 40% turnover in people at the picnic so there’d be new eyes to see it.
                              Im hoping to get my car there this year although the timing would be close. I just want to see yours in person!
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Adam, just like anyone else who has been following this thread I am absolutely floored. There are a lot of car guys in the world with great cars and great builds but the really intricate builds tend to have the benefit of time & $$$$$. You really are a standalone treasure to any car community you decide to hang out in kudos.

I am incredibly excited to see the turbo five drop in there. Everyone here I'm sure would love to see an intricate m20 build out but because of the sweat equity you've put into this car you should get a free pass on whatever the fuck you want to power it with. 👏👏👏

Comment

Working...
                                X