Worth Saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth Saving

I just bought a 325iX 4-dr auto that has been parked for 2 years. So far I have found: good front drive shaft, all hard fuel lines rusted, all hard brake lines rusted, good interior but with mildew (smells), not bad body panels (front fender rust), all brake calipers shot (ordered rebuilts), fuel like resin, motor mount torn, 2 exhaust mounts torn, window switches shot, timing belt about to break. Boots on front axles torn.

Worth keeping? Right now it's looking like a partout candidate. I see the strong prices for half-shafts, and trans cases, and motors. What do you think?
    1990 M3
    1991 325iX
    1991 M5
    1999 M3C
    2003 M5
    2012 X5 35d

Sounds like a parts car to me considering what it would cost to get it on the road.
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Base your decision on the condition of the body and any structural rust that might be present. There seems to be a rash of IX partouts recently and the remaining cars are only going up in value.

The list of items you mention are not overly expensive or difficult to replace if you're going to be doing the work yourself. Yeah - it's a lot of sweat equity that you'd have to invest, but you'd know your car tip to tail once you're done.

I agree that IX part prices are strong, but they would be stronger if you had serviceable, running components.

Besides, an IX in the fresh CT snow will definitely put a smile on your face.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinerunner View Post
        I just bought a 325iX 4-dr auto that has been parked for 2 years. So far I have found: good front drive shaft, all hard fuel lines rusted, all hard brake lines rusted, good interior but with mildew (smells), not bad body panels (front fender rust), all brake calipers shot (ordered rebuilts), fuel like resin, motor mount torn, 2 exhaust mounts torn, window switches shot, timing belt about to break. Boots on front axles torn.

Worth keeping? Right now it's looking like a partout candidate. I see the strong prices for half-shafts, and trans cases, and motors. What do you think?
        If you have the space then I would say it is worth keeping and doing some restoration over time. There are too many IX's being parted out right now, its time to keep them on the road :D

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
          Base your decision on the condition of the body and any structural rust that might be present. There seems to be a rash of IX partouts recently and the remaining cars are only going up in value.

The list of items you mention are not overly expensive or difficult to replace if you're going to be doing the work yourself. Yeah - it's a lot of sweat equity that you'd have to invest, but you'd know your car tip to tail once you're done.

I agree that IX part prices are strong, but they would be stronger if you had serviceable, running components.

Besides, an IX in the fresh CT snow will definitely put a smile on your face.

I completely agree with this. I am guilty of a couple part outs but those cars had structural rust that was far beyond even a lofty repair budget. Any structurally sound IX should not be parted out at this point. I have plenty of parts no one should need to take any more apart for a while [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I'm going to keep it and fix it up. So far I've ran all new fuel lines and got it running, so that's a plus! It idled smoothly and with no smoke... a shock after sitting for so long. I have all new calipers and I'm in the process of replacing the rear brake lines with the Chase Bays kit. I've also replaced the motor mount and redone the suspension with H&R springs, new front strut mounts, and new spring pads.

So far $4,000 invested, including the price of the car. This should include all the parts needed to make the car safe and reliable to drive for the winter. I'll reassess in the spring whether to sell or continue to fix it up.
            1990 M3
            1991 325iX
            1991 M5
            1999 M3C
            2003 M5
            2012 X5 35d

Comment

FYI, when it comes to dealing with interior mold/mildew, sporicidin is the shit.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Ok well the iX is finally on the road. She has some issues for sure, including no rear lights (brake or taillights) no HVAC fan, but in the past few weeks I've done:

Engine: timing belt with tensioner and water pump, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil change.

Driveline: new front CV boots (inner and outer), front wheel bearings, front and rear diff fluid, 1/3 of trans fluid changed, front driveshaft lubed

Suspension: front outer ball joints, H&R springs, strut mounts (car has HD Bilsteins).

Brakes: New master cylinder, all 4 rebuilt calipers, new pads and rotors, new LF hard line, all new rear lines from Chase Bays.
                1990 M3
                1991 325iX
                1991 M5
                1999 M3C
                2003 M5
                2012 X5 35d

Comment

I should add that it's for sale!: $5000 firm, this was 1/2 a flip project and 1/2 a winter beater project. However, I've realized that 3/4 of the winter is just a salt spray with no snow, so I'd rather get a more family oriented winter DD like an e46 AWD wagon. This summer the price will be $5100!
                  1990 M3
                  1991 325iX
                  1991 M5
                  1999 M3C
                  2003 M5
                  2012 X5 35d

Comment

Can you post pictures?
                    In-Force:
                    1991 325iX - DiamantSchwarz - Metallic
                    1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 - Canary Yellow

Retired/Sold:
                    1991 325iX - DiamantSchwarz Metallic
                    2002 325i w/ 235k miles - AlpineWeiß
                    2002 Saab 9-3
                    1972 Fiat 124

Comment

No pictures no point in commenting :/

Comment

good for you getting it running and back on the road! I decided to do the same with my project from a couple of years, just recently took it back off the road to address some rust issues. Love these cars and so many have gone into parts bins (which I also understand) - but then again I am a nut and masochist...
                        I may be an addict...
                        oo M Coupe - gone but not forgotten
                        Fixed and sold: 87 325is, 87 Pro3, 88 325is, 91 318is
                        89 325iX - work in progress
                        00 Ranger - the little Tow-Rig that could

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                          No pictures no point in commenting :/
                          Thanks! Appreciate the comment! ;D
                          1990 M3
                          1991 325iX
                          1991 M5
                          1999 M3C
                          2003 M5
                          2012 X5 35d

Comment

Photos

Pics attached. Hasn't been washed since sitting outside for 2 years. She's about to live the good life in a 6 car garage!
                            Attached Files
                            1990 M3
                            1991 325iX
                            1991 M5
                            1999 M3C
                            2003 M5
                            2012 X5 35d

Comment

No wonder you can fit six cars! You can stash some on the ceiling!

Comment

Working...
                              X