No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the z3 rack the SECOND best upgrade other than the 95 M5 rack? There is a local z3 rack for sale for $75

Comment

yes, but you are giving up some turning for that rack. just think of it as a shortened m3 rack. the turning ratio is the same, just that it stops at 2.7 turn to turn instead of 3.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
      PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

So I got my 3.0 M3 rack in. I've been driving it for a few days. I didn't have power steering before and I didn't reinstall it.

Parallel parking is no longer a viable option.

It's better, it's definitely nice, but it doesn't transform the car into a go kart or anything. I guess I just had high hopes. It's one of them mods you don't really notice until it's gone- I'm sure if I got in a regular e30 I would bitch all day about the slow steering.

I haven't had a chance to autox it yet, but Sunday I'll probably have a revised opinion as I will be doing a driving school for about 4 hours, and I know it will shine then.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

[QUOTE=JGood;697164]
          Parallel parking is no longer a viable option.QUOTE]

can you explain this a little? Is it just harder or is it not possible?

Comment

[quote=Schneider325;697513]
            Originally posted by JGood View Post
            Parallel parking is no longer a viable option.QUOTE]

can you explain this a little? Is it just harder or is it not possible?
            I was joking, it's possible, but your not gonna do a one hander, that's for sure. After 6 months your arm muscles get strong enough that it's doable, but you'll struggle in the mean time. It's weird, steering with an m3 rack with no power steering uses muscles that none of my workout uses. I'll have to include driving my car in my work out. Sweet, another reason to drive.

Comment

So I got my 3.0 M3 rack in. I've been driving it for a few days. I didn't have power steering before and I didn't reinstall it.

It's better, it's definitely nice, but it doesn't transform the car into a go kart or anything. I guess I just had high hopes. It's one of them mods you don't really notice until it's gone- I'm sure if I got in a regular e30 I would bitch all day about the slow steering.
              I know what you mean but once you get used to it and drive an E30 with a stock rack that's when you really notice it. Like every time I drive my brother's E30 I can always tell the difference.

Comment

[QUOTE=JGood;697573]
                Originally posted by Schneider325 View Post

I was joking, it's possible, but your not gonna do a one hander, that's for sure. After 6 months your arm muscles get strong enough that it's doable, but you'll struggle in the mean time. It's weird, steering with an m3 rack with no power steering uses muscles that none of my workout uses. I'll have to include driving my car in my work out. Sweet, another reason to drive.
                Oh, I didn't know you didn't have power steering. That would do it. It wouldn't be as hard with the PS working i would imagine
                Last edited by Schniddy; 04-01-2007, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Can you use 96-99 m3 racks for this swap? Any major differences from the 95 rack?
                  S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                  What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                    Can you use 96-99 m3 racks for this swap? Any major differences from the 95 rack?
                    the 95s are the quickest but any will work. I used a 96
                    Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                      a 96-99 will be much cheaper to find.

i scored mine for $145 shipped with brand new tie rod ends.
                      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Hold out for a 3.0

I got mine for $200 shipped. If your gonna go through the work, might as well do it the best way for only a little more $$$. At least get a z3 rack if you don't want to spend the money on the M3 rack, same ratio, and how often do you NEED to do a turn-around with the wheels fully locked, and CANNOT do a 3 point turn?

Comment

I haven't had a chance to autox it yet, but Sunday I'll probably have a revised opinion as I will be doing a driving school for about 4 hours, and I know it will shine then.
                          How did you take out the power steering? Did you fill up the rack with ATF then plug the holes for the PS lines with something?
                          Originally posted by KingB
                          Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HST View Post
                            How did you take out the power steering? Did you fill up the rack with ATF then plug the holes for the PS lines with something?
                            I threw some fluid in the rack (Redline ATF). Took one of the lines coming off the rack (the one with a few inches of hard line), cut the rest off after the metal part. Took the other hose, cut it at the rubber part. Threw a clamp on the rubber part, slid it over the other chopped metal line, and clamped her down. I have no idea if this proper or not, but I did it to my last rack (a rebuilt Meridian) and drove it for about 80k miles, 4 years, and when I pulled the boots off to swap the M3 rack, everything was still dry. So I did it again with the M3 rack. I think the rack and pinion gears use a grease and shouldn't require or even come in contact to the fluid, but I'm sure it helps to keep some in there. Maybe.

Comment

2000 Steering Rack/Box BMW Z3 Rack & Pin, 3.2L- 3.2 NEW NO/TIE/RODS ...4 miles away

Is it worth it?
                              Last edited by Schniddy; 01-01-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

That's a good deal as long as it's the quick ratio 2.7 turn rack (it's not the 3.0, but for that price who cares?)

Comment

Working...
                                X