No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info !!! Z3 rack is on and it feels amazing.. Thx alot!!!
    Now I have to figure it out from where&why my tranny is leaking right after I swapped the rack in.

sigpic

Comment

Info for all:

Don't want to be a smartass but to get the same alignment as the OEM E30 Rack, the correct spacer heights are 6,4mm at the top and 7,4mm at the bottom.
      sigpic

STATUS QUO ENGINEERING
      KÖLN, GERMANY

Comment

So what are people doing for part number 72111847480, the two spacers needed, as they are no longer available from bmw, and it seems pretty scarce online as well.

Should i just use a bunch of washers?
        '99 e46 323i - wrecked
        '87 e30 325iS - sold
        '91 e30 325i - sold
        '89 e30 M3 - fun car
        '09 e91 328i - sold
        '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
        '08 impreza - new rally car
        '01 996 tt - more fun car
        '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Originally posted by ebox86 View Post
          So what are people doing for part number 72111847480, the two spacers needed, as they are no longer available from bmw, and it seems pretty scarce online as well.

Should i just use a bunch of washers?
          no don't use washers
          part ##RPSPC $10
          The ORIGINAL e30 M5x/S5x swap motor mounts! Our mounts incorporate the correct angle and stud location for proper engine seating. Made in USA.
          My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
            no don't use washers
            part ##RPSPC $10
            http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...0%2FM50%20Swap
            Ah wonderful, is that a kit, $10 for the 2 or is it 10 per spacer?

thanks
            '99 e46 323i - wrecked
            '87 e30 325iS - sold
            '91 e30 325i - sold
            '89 e30 M3 - fun car
            '09 e91 328i - sold
            '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
            '08 impreza - new rally car
            '01 996 tt - more fun car
            '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Originally posted by ebox86 View Post
              Ah wonderful, is that a kit, $10 for the 2 or is it 10 per spacer?

thanks
              2 for $10
              Yur welcome
              AKG
              Technical Support: ++847-746-8488
              Customer Service/Sales: ++847-238-AKG1 (2541)
              Fax: ++435-518-3815
              Email: info@akgmotorsport.com
              My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                no don't use washers
                part ##RPSPC $10
                http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...0%2FM50%20Swap
                Thanks for posting this! Just ordered a set. AKG stuff rocks...

8)
                1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Also e30tech.com has a kit available that is basically the same as the AKG one.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Alpinweiss II 88 325is | M20 | 5 Lug Conversion
                  --
                  Kyle

Comment

I did the swap and it completely changed the geometry of how the tie rod sit on the steering knuckle, not a whole lot but, enough that it continously scrapes against my stock 14" bottle caps. Has anyone else had this issue or is it safe to assume by the time everyone does this swap they have bigger wheels already?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordo0208 View Post
                      I did the swap and it completely changed the geometry of how the tie rod sit on the steering knuckle, not a whole lot but, enough that it continously scrapes against my stock 14" bottle caps. Has anyone else had this issue or is it safe to assume by the time everyone does this swap they have bigger wheels already?
                      I'm using 14" bottlecaps now with winter tires with a regular E36 rack and I have no issues at all.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                        I'm using 14" bottlecaps now with winter tires with a regular E36 rack and I have no issues at all.
                        OEM tie rods? I bought new URO ones for the swap, maybe they're a bit thicker. I honestly have no idea what's causing this. Everything LOOKS good up until the tie rod end. Can you show me a pic of your tie rod at the knuckle if possible?

Comment

Unless you drastically altered spacing the rack, the tie rods must be wrong.

Comment

Well after two unsuccessful attempts, I'm still driving around with my busted e30 rack. So many puddles...

Attempt 1: realize that I can't use the same outer tie rods + outer tie rods are shot, must order new ones. Can't get them out of the steering knuckle.

Attempt 2: really can't get the outer tie rods out of the knuckle. Outer tie rods are even more shot. Give up after three hours of hitting things with hammers. Drive home from friend's shop on really sketchy set of un-torqued/crossthreaded (but completely stuck) outer tie rods.

Any tips on how to get these buggers out when they're really really stuck? I hit the knuckle, the rods, the top of the threads, used a pickle fork, tried a tie rod puller (that didn't fit), used a heat gun to try and heat up the knuckle, pry bar... The only tool I didn't try was a tie rod puller because apparently no stores have them. I didn't realize a ball joint separator could have worked, also. I ended up damaging the threads on one tie rod so bad that I had to file some of them off just so I could put the nut back on to drive home.

I think I'm about to resort to a professional because I don't have any time (or space) and I'm tired of my clunky, wobbly, leaky, misaligned steering.
                            Last edited by kwseattle; 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM.

--
                            Kyle

Comment

In the most severe cases, heat the knuckle with a torch (heat gun won't do anything), and have a cup of cold water handy to toss on knuckle after about 10 minutes of torch. That'll shock it free to be easily knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by KVF View Post
                                In the most severe cases, heat the knuckle with a torch (heat gun won't do anything), and have a cup of cold water handy to toss on knuckle after about 10 minutes of torch. That'll shock it free to be easily knocked out.
                                Ah, sounds like it might work. I'd hope it wouldn't crack the knuckle, though, that would get expensive.

After watching some videos it seems I might not have been hitting the knuckle hard enough, hah. But damn, was it stuck. I think it might have had to do with it being about 30 degrees when attempting to get them free. I might try and get my hands on a tie rod puller or a ball joint separator and maybe give it another shot this weekend if I can get some shop space.

--
                                Kyle

Comment

Working...
                                X