325iX Rear Drive Shaft Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325iX Rear Drive Shaft Help

I am in the process of refreshing/rebuilding a 1989 325iX. The car was originally an auto that I am swapping to a 5-speed. The transmission and transfer case are all in and now I just need a drive shaft.

Here is where I need help:

- I don't have a core to have rebuilt. All the companies I see charge a core fee and I assume they don't have these just sitting on the shelf and I could "eat" the core charge given how few iX cars made it to the US. I haven't called any of the vendors who list them for sale so, maybe I am incorrect here.

- I could buy a used one off EBay but the condition of the u-joint will be uncertain. I want to do it once and do it right.

- New OEM no longer available?

- Are new OEM style still available from any vendor without having to have a core to rebuild?

- Anyone make a custom shaft that does away with the staked u-joint? Again, I have no core as a base for a rebuild.

Money isn't so much the issue as getting a new drive shaft that will not give me issues down the road. I don't need any fancy CF, aluminum race shaft, just something that will work in a semi daily driven car.
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

i have a manual rear driveshaft that came out of my friends' car that was totaled years back. It was in perfect shape when removed if you're interested. I'm in NYC though.
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

btw i never changed my rear driveshaft after my 5-speed swap on my iX fyi.
      www.instagram.com/snwmble
      #snwmble

Current:
      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I am interested.

PM sent
        1986 E30 325E
        1989 E30 325iX
        2003 E54 X5.
        1993 Mercedes W124 300E
        1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
        2009 VW Touareg
        2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

If you plan to have the car a while, I always go to OE. It lasted this long, why open yourself up to having to do the job twice?

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
            btw i never changed my rear driveshaft after my 5-speed swap on my iX fyi.
            I never changed my rear drive shaft either when I did my 5- speed swap on my ix.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

BMA (and probably others) have u-joints. The yokes would have to be machined to remove the staking and add snap ring grooves.
              Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 10-24-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

The front and rear drive shafts are identical between manual and automatic 325iXes.

Comment

Then does the auto iX shaft not have a center carrier bearing? When I see shafts advertised for the autos they have a center carrier bearing.
                  1986 E30 325E
                  1989 E30 325iX
                  2003 E54 X5.
                  1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                  1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                  2009 VW Touareg
                  2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

iX does not use a CSB. Any driveshaft that has one is the wrong driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
                      Then does the auto iX shaft not have a center carrier bearing? When I see shafts advertised for the autos they have a center carrier bearing.
                      Correct, the auto and manual ix driveshafts do not have a centre support bearing. The auto and manual driveshafts are identical and share the same part number. Also according to ECS it is available new https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...x/26111225684/

However if the driveshaft from your auto was in good condition, I don't see the need to replace it. I've done the swap 4 times and always reused the driveshafts. They are telescopic and can expand/compress to make up any difference in length.

Comment

Auto and Manual ix's use the same driveshaft. There's no difference in lenght because the tailshaft of the transfercase is the same on both cars. The ix also has no csb.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

How many times does this need to be stated? Time for a new signature.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                          X