newbie tune help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie tune help.

recently bought an 89 32i. car is setup with a holset h1c turbo, gm coil packs, 42lb injectors. I DID NOT BUILD THIS CAR. I bought it off a friend who has had it for years. He had verified base timing and loaded it with a tune to get it started.

I have been working with a remote tuner for the past few weeks. He is worried that I have a vacuum leak but I have checked and double checked and cant find anything amiss. Im hoping someone can look over my current MSQ and help me decipher what is going on. Any help would be great.
    This is my first car running megasquirt, def not new to turbos though.
    Last edited by turbski; 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM. Reason: adding file

having trouble loading the msq onto the forum but if anyone is willing to take a look let me know and I can email the msq and data logs. just looking for pointers or things that may have been overlooked as far as the setup goes

Comment

Do you even tune bro? This is a group for EFI performance tuners (or people wanting to learn) from around the world. We're not talking about type of guy who slap some big rims and a body kit on a...

For all your part needs whether it's turbos, boost parts or engine components contact Bijal at future motorsports. A discount will also be offered by ordering through the group....

You'll find some good guys on here that'll help you out.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

thank you! im just trying to learn enough to be able to take the car out without popping it

Comment

[attach]122597[/attach

[ATTACH]122598[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]122599[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]122600[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]122601[/ATTACH]
          Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH]122602[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]122603[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]122604[/ATTACH

there maybe this will help a bit. sorry for the double post. got carried away when I figured out how to do this lol
                Attached Files

Comment

Why does he think you have a vacuum leak? What's not working correctly?

Comment

He's thinking vac leak due to my kpa at idle. Avg is about 47 at hot idle. I just want to get it tuned good enough to drive to the dyno. And around town. Lol. I'm not trying to make a rocket ship. Just a fun everyday driver. I can post a couple logs if it would help.

Comment

Originally posted by turbski View Post
                      He's thinking vac leak due to my kpa at idle. Avg is about 47 at hot idle. I just want to get it tuned good enough to drive to the dyno. And around town. Lol. I'm not trying to make a rocket ship. Just a fun everyday driver. I can post a couple logs if it would help.
                      My car idles at about 50 kpa. I'm at 2500ft elevation though, not sure where you are exactly. From doing a little research sounds like that's a bit on the high end of normal. Typically the car should be more around 30 kPa.
                      Last edited by citizen_insane; 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Are you able to do the good ole boost leak test with a tire valve and pressurized air? Youtube it.

Is the car running funny? You're not able to drive it to the dyno at all?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

no its not running to terrible at all, but being new to trying to tune a motor from scratch im trying to make sure ive done my part to make sure nothing is to far off to make his life more difficult. I have gone over the entire vac system with propane, and have been able to produce zero leaks.
                          Im leaning towards this just being where the car wants to idle.

Also im at about 1100 ft above sea level.

Although it will start and idle fine the fueling seems to be way off. cutting out when trying to raise rpms above 2000. like its starving for fuel or has way way to much.
                          As I said before I can post a couple logs of the car idling if anyone wants to help out.

TY for the responses.

Comment

ok..... not sure how to phrase this but ill do my best. I removed the boot from my turbo and hooked it up to a pressure regulator I built this afternoon. I set it for 6psi. I pressurized the system and found 2 things.
                            FYI im using a greddy type s.

1. With the lower nipple connected to the BOV there is a massive purge of air coming from the BOV. even with the spring tightened as much as possible. when disconnected its null.

2. Although I cant make it change RPMs with the car running using propane, under pressure (car off), there is a significant hissing coming from the top of my throttle body, if standing on the driver side of the car it would be the left most spring (im assuming this controls the throttle blade?)

Could this be the cause of a vac leak?? if so could someone pls explain how this would screw with my vac system??
                            Last edited by turbski; 07-24-2018, 10:27 PM. Reason: i cant spell lol

Comment

anyone??

Comment

Working...
                              X