Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please help me with my fuel gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please help me with my fuel gauge?

Hello, I'm new to this site and I just bought this 1986 325e that I'm trying to restore and eventually swap a 24v. Anyway the car came with a messed up instrument cluster so I swapped in a cluster from a 1987 325i parts car. Here's the problem, before I bought the cluster from the 325i, I overfilled my gas tank on my way there. Gas started coming out underneath my car where the gas tank is. I checked underneath the back seat and it seams like the gas pump is loose. so I'm not sure if I messed up the gas sensor thing or my gas gauge is not compatible at all. I've been searching all over the internet, but I seem to be able to find what i I need.:thankyou:

Originally posted by savagesaint21 View Post
    I checked underneath the back seat and it seams like the gas pump is loose. so I'm not sure if I messed up the gas sensor thing or my gas gauge is not compatible at all.
    Please separate the fuel level sensor in the tank from the fuel gauge (as in the dash).

It critical to determine where the fuel leak is coming from. There are more than a few hoses associated with the fuel tank and anyone of them can cause a leak. You have the pressure side, the return and then the fuel tank overflow system mounted back by the fill door.

Too many of these cars have burnt to the ground due to fuel leaks.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      Please separate the fuel level sensor in the tank from the fuel gauge (as in the dash).
      (So should I disconnect my dash first?)
      You have the pressure side, the return and then the fuel tank overflow system mounted back by the fill door
      (Where can I find this? Any guide somewhere?)
      Too many of these cars have burnt to the ground due to fuel leaks.
      Thanks a lot for the help

Comment

Search grasshopper!

First, I doubt if the fuel gauge has anything to do with the leak. So let's take that out of the equation for now.

Do you have an idea where the leak is showing itself?

The the high pressure fuel pump is under the car behind the driver's seat. Anything look out of place there?

Take out the back seat, remove the access cover to the fuel sending unit. Is anything visibly leaking?

Remove the right rear (by the gas cap), inner fender well liner. Up in that fender is where the fuel overflow tank is located. Anything leaking?

www.realoem.com and look at the fuel supply section to get an idea of all the components.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
        X