I Put 5Qrts of Oil Instead of 4.5...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Put 5Qrts of Oil Instead of 4.5...

I know, I'm dumb. I've tried to siphon out some oil from the dipstick hole but the hand pump is pretty weak (or maybe it's just me). The dipstick level is a tiny bit over the "full" line. It's like 1/2cm over. Should I go through the trouble of opening up the drain bolt again and probably making a big fat mess? Or should I just live with it? Does anyone have any experiences? I can't be the only moron that has done this...
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Oh shit dude, sorry to say, but I think you're going to need a new engine...
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
      Oh shit dude, sorry to say, but I think you're going to need a new engine...
      This man knows the truth. It happens though. It's easy to do with an m20, which is why they are so expensive. Good luck hunting!

I would remove the drain just a bit for safety. Just hold a water bottle under there.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

I routinely run my track car with 1/2 to 3/4 quart extra oil (to help with starvation in the long corners). Never had a problem yet.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
          I routinely run my track car with 1/2 to 3/4 quart extra oil (to help with starvation in the long corners). Never had a problem yet.
          Ditto, common in racing, leave it alone

Comment

A lot of guys who race these run a quart over. It's fine. The excess will leak out soon anyways

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
            Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Part out.

Comment

The extra oil is going to get into the cylinders and hydro-lock his engine. More parts on the horizon!

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                  I know, I'm dumb. I've tried to siphon out some oil from the dipstick hole but the hand pump is pretty weak (or maybe it's just me). The dipstick level is a tiny bit over the "full" line. It's like 1/2cm over. Should I go through the trouble of opening up the drain bolt again and probably making a big fat mess? Or should I just live with it? Does anyone have any experiences? I can't be the only moron that has done this...
                  All good; drive and enjoy. You’re fine.
                  Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                  1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                  Palm Beach County

Comment

I just changed my oil and it took the whole 5qt jug. The e30 police have yet to show up.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to just sell the whole car so I wouldn't have to deal with whatever tragedy comes from adding .5 exrta quarts. I'll let the next guy worry about it... the poor sucker will never know!
                      :jk:
                      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                        All good; drive and enjoy. You’re fine.
                        Will do. Hey, I'm in South FL too! What part are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                          Will do. Hey, I'm in South FL too! What part are you in?
                          Palm Beach County! You?
                          Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                          1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                          Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                            Palm Beach County! You?
                            Cool, I'm in Naples. I actually bought my e30 around the Palm Beach area, I was lucky enough to not have to drive across the country for it lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X