No announcement yet.

10k RPM – 1991 Diamantschwarz 318is Slicktop – 231hp NA M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You started off great and have kept it up through the years!

Excellent thread.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Did I once sell you a lower oil pan gasket in Lafayette?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        Did I once sell you a lower oil pan gasket in Lafayette?
        You did! I didn’t end up using it, and still have it! I stripped my oil pan bolts, so I just reused my old one because it was going to leak either way
        1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
        2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
        1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
        1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Damn, this is gonna be a pretty cool upgrade
          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

I got a surprise at lunch, today!

Included with the engine, was also two sets of headers from the previous owner that he ran on his track car.

The top set was the original, which has seen some better days, but is a 3" collector.

The bottom set is brand new, and is a 2.5" collector. Seeing as my exhaust is currently a 2.5", this is the set I will probably be using for the time being.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about headers and exhaust work in general, so this all may change, or the OEM headers may be what we stick with, but I'll definitely be consulting some other people as time goes on.
            2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
            2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

So, this also happened last night.

My roommate picked up an E36 last fall, and hasn't really been stoked on it. His dream car was a 944, and we found someone interested in trading basket cases.

944 doesn't start, but is in slightly better condition than the E36. Trading a cosmetic headache for a mechanical headache.

We'll see where this one goes!
              2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
              2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

I really liked my 944 S2. Beautiful balance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always liked the way the 944 looks. Not your status quo Porsche and that's what's cool about it. Looks like it should come with a dime bag. I'd also probably take a mechanical basket case over an aesthetic basket case, for some reason.

Comment

Today was two more deliveries for the Slicktop!

First, from FCP Euro, I received:

Clutch Master Cylinder
                    Clutch Slave Cylinder
                    Clutch Hydraulic Hose
                    Flywheel Bolts

Then today, I just received my clutch and flywheel from ClutchMasters:

ClutchMasters Aluminum Flywheel (15lbs)
                    ClutchMasters FX350 Clutch

It was packaged incredibly well!

The only thing I'm still waiting on to put my engine back into my car is the Clutch Cable (Soft/Hard Line from Clutch Master to Clutch Slave Cylinder) from Chase Bays, which should be here before the weekend.
                    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

So, last weekend we were able to get some work done, but not quite drop the engine in yet, waiting on a bit of wiring to be complete as well as new bolts to arrive, but we got a lot done.

First up, we installed the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from ClutchMasters. I can't say enough as to how nice this looks, which is unfortunate that no one will ever see it. I hope it feels even 1/2 as nice.

And a few bonus photos of the engine all cleaned up and ready to drop in.

Next for the day was doing my Clutch Master, Clutch Slave, and Clutch Cables.
                      I never want to this ever again.

I replaced the old FAG Master Cylinder preemptively with a new FTE Master Cylinder, as I figured it would just be best to have both of them replaced together with the new clutch. I just noticed I need to tighten that a bit more, as well.

Next up was the slave cylinder, I didn't take a photo of the old one, but it was in dire need of replacement due to all the oil leaking out of my old engine all over the transmission.

I also replaced the OEM hard line with a Chase Bays cable, which made this a thousand times simpler and easier to do in the future.

Not pictured, is the engine bay, which we removed the old coils, and prepped to install the new Electromotive Coils, which we are waiting to mount until the new harness is complete so I am able to run the OEM Ignition instead of a switch panel.

While this isn't going to be a "street car" or "daily driver", it still want it to look very much stock.
                      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Awesome build! I love seeing a nice 318is come together! How do you like the chasebays lines? I have been debating between them and the garagistic brake lines, but the chasebays ones are a little more pricy, although with a different design.

Keep the updates coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Gkwan View Post
                          Awesome build! I love seeing a nice 318is come together! How do you like the chasebays lines? I have been debating between them and the garagistic brake lines, but the chasebays ones are a little more pricy, although with a different design.

Keep the updates coming!
                          I love them, simply because it’s not a hard line. It made the installation easier than the removal, which is almost never the case.

Also, being that it’s cut to length, you don’t need to use the original mounting tab, so you can actually shave it. I’ll probably be using a lot more chase bays cables in the future, though, I’ll be using Garagistic for my brake lines, as Chase Bays Kit is a relocation kit.
                          2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                          2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Chase Bays got some really nice products. The brake lines alone are worth every penny allowing the delete of the rear 6" soft line > 6" hard line > 6" soft line puzzle. Thank for reminding me about this product since I need to buy some anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                              Chase Bays got some really nice products. The brake lines alone are worth every penny allowing the delete of the rear 6" soft line > 6" hard line > 6" soft line puzzle. Thank for reminding me about this product since I need to buy some anyway.
                              Looking a bit more into it, I may be more inclined to swap the brake cables with chase bays in the future. I actually just replaced mine with brand new OEM cables back in October, so I don't see it happening anytime soon, but, Chase Bays setup does look like a good solution.

It's looking like wiring will be completed over this weekend, so the goal of being ready for June is very likely. The problem I've had is just sourcing new fasteners. I may end up just reusing the transmission mounting bolts, which isn't an issue, really.
                              2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                              2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

I bought the Chasebays Stainless Braided brake line kit and posted them on another forum I’m on and got crap from all of the track and AutoX guys stating that the pedal will feel terrible from not running a hard line front to rear. I bought the $30 OEM hardline and didn’t look back, but am interested in hearing from someone who actually ran the Chasebays kit.
                                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X