OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariano_is_my_hero View Post
    i'd get a first gen tundra with the 4.6 v8 over any 20+ year old f150 any day. the first gen tundra prob has higher payload and towing then a early 90's f150. id look at something like this

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/c...474758669.html
    The Tundra frame rust isn't as huge of a deal in CA, but anywhere there is snow and salt, it should be a major concern. In my past life, I worked at a Toyota dealership and watched a ton of them come through that had catastrophic frame corrosion that were otherwise in excellent mechanical condition.

I would also only consider the 05-06 models as the transmissions were more stout than the early years.
    Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
      LOL thanks Kershaw the cloning tool hard at work....
      Cloning tool? Lol, you gotta get with the times. That was Content Aware Fill hard at work. It's automatic and does 95% of the work for you.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Thanks for the inputs dudes. The f150's clutch is going now. So rad
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

Welp, my 4runner will be back! Got ready to sell it but the Wife requested I repair it. I was ready to buy her a new style Durango next year but she wants to keep the old 3rd gen.

Going to start tearing down the front end this week I think. Will probably fabricate the bumper while I'm at it.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

SAS when
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Pretty sad found a small hole in the frame of my 2002 tacoma right behind the passenger rear wheel. I called toyota and turns out my truck is out of the 15 year warranty since it is a 2002 even though it was undercoated. But it still qualifies for the spare tire carrier recall. Guess I'm going to have look into patching it myself. Truck only has 262,000 miles as well.
              -Dee
              5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
              IG: @deebelmont

Comment

talk to Exodus he patched up his 3rd gen T4R in a similar spot (though Drivers side IIRC) not all that long ago.....
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                  Pretty sad found a small hole in the frame of my 2002 tacoma right behind the passenger rear wheel. I called toyota and turns out my truck is out of the 15 year warranty since it is a 2002 even though it was undercoated. But it still qualifies for the spare tire carrier recall. Guess I'm going to have look into patching it myself. Truck only has 262,000 miles as well.

Call corporate, they replaced my Camry hybrid battery a few thousand miles outside of the warranty.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                    I would call up the chain to corporate and complain. It's a well-known issue and you are not that far out of warranty, I would bet if you cause a fuss you'll get it repaired.

Comment

Update: dumped the F150. Pretty happy.

Anyone have any THOTS on this? Besides the red mom-color (I dont love it)? Being Toyotas, I feel like I don't necessarily have to chase the lowest mileage example. For instance, theres also a nice blue 2006 facelift crew cab with matching leer canopy, but a lot of moolah for 234k...
                      Red, 159k
                      Blue, 236k, +$2000
                      -Peter
                      '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                      '00 Tundra

Comment

^^ Limited and 4-door would be worth the extra 2k to me, especially since it's an 06.

234k is nothing for these things. I am at 291k in an 01.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

i would buy based on cond and history vs mileage with any toyota/honda/mazda

i just picked up a lc 200 with 180k miles and it looks and rives new. prob will have 300k miles when i sell it a few years from now
                          06' Black Cayman S

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Silver Landcruiser

Comment

The red one is rebuilt, turns out. Shady bastards. Hated the color anyway...

History is a good call, I'm tracing the origins of them to see if they came from the rust belt, etc. Did the frame issues get resolved at the end of gen1? Or all based on location?
                            -Peter
                            '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                            '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
                              The red one is rebuilt, turns out. Shady bastards. Hated the color anyway...

History is a good call, I'm tracing the origins of them to see if they came from the rust belt, etc. Did the frame issues get resolved at the end of gen1? Or all based on location?

That's a very good idea regarding the origins of each car. If you are going to get a car from the rust belt you don't want to be paying a premium for it. Cars in the Northeast are significantly cheaper then the West Coast, and rightfully so.
                              1989 325ix
                              1992 325ic 770A
                              2002 M3

Comment

I had two Tacomas. The first was the first year model, 1995.5 I think? I put a 190k on, had a head gasket go and replaced it in an afternoon. Then a month later a girl hit me almost head on and totaled the damn thing.

My second I bought used and put a ton on miles on it then one day I saw it, the frame was collapsing where the leaf spring connected in the front due to rust. I was going to take it to a local guy who builds race cars to look at, when a girl I worked with told me about the recall. I called the dealership and he said, "if it's perforated I won't be able to let you leave in it." I said, "Well I can fit my fist through the hole." and he said, "Get your stuff out of it and bring it by."

They paid me $10k for a truck that I paid $5k used for and put like 60k miles on. I used the money to buy my first BMW so I guess it worked out in the end, but I did love that truck. . .
                                Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Working...
                                X