The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    speaking of which, I am holding my breath for updates.....!
    Uh, well, I finally got my car back from where it was stored since the fires. I haven't had a chance to do a thing with it however. (M3 got mugged by a Camry, been thrashing to get the Datsun running so I have a car to drive while the M3 gets fixed. Insurance was giving me a runaround for a rental car and it was less effort to pull the roadster engine, replace the cylinder head and put everything back together than it was to get the stupid rental car. I'm hoping to have the engine back in the car sometime this weekend.) After that I have a national Championship podium finisher 1600 Roadster to sort out.

I'm still looking for good seats for the Alfa. I have a few other things to look for as well. I did pick up a wide band O2 sensor setup for it. That will be nince to have on hand.

I need a clone that I can send to work, so I can go work on the Alfa.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,273.

pretty thorough by anyone's standards.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Wow. Nice.

Comment

those wheels look so darn nice on that car
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Alfa Sauber Ferrari F1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Romeo Sauber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	7194182

Comment

'62 Sprint Veloce coupe on BaT

Click image for larger version

Name:	Giulietta Sprint Veloce.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	7194186

Bid for the chance to own a 1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,335.

Comment

Looks like a pretty straightforward car. Too bad the original Veloce engine is missing, that will cut a big chunk of $ of the winning bid.

Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Love this

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV - $39500 (Cherry Creek)

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

-Dark Red ("Faggio") on Tan
                  -Well serviced and recently underwent a complete mechanical tune up including new front brakes.
                  -Original factory color combo and comes with A certificate of authenticity from Alfa Romeo
                  -Matching numbers original engine
                  -80k miles
                  -Original factory sunroof(very,very rare)
                  -Clean and clear Colorado title
                  R135 /// 1990 AlpinweiĂź II 325is
                  └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                    Love this

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

-Well serviced and recently underwent a complete mechanical tune up including new front brakes.
                    -Original factory color combo and comes with A certificate of authenticity from Alfa Romeo
                    -Matching numbers original engine
                    -80k miles
                    -Original factory sunroof(very,very rare)
                    -Clean and clear Colorado title
                    If I'm not mistaken, that car has either not sold, or has bounced around for a long time. I've seen that pic a few times before. Seems like a nice car, but I don't know why it doesn't find a good home.

Back to the Sprint. That is an interesting car. Since Glen Olivera went through it, I'd bet its in great mechanical shape. Glen owns the oldest Sprint in the US and races it on a regular basis. He does great work.

Looking at pics of the engine, I see a 1600 intake, and a Denso alternator (rather than a generator. That also likely means is a negative ground car now.) I also see an aftermarket guibo cage on the driveshaft. I think it will make for a great project, or preservation car. The carpet is pretty tired, as is the headliner, however both can be found. The headliner replacement is an involved job, it took 9 hrs to have mine installed and that didn't include removing all the windows (An involved job in itself.) The rest of the interior looks decent. I'd hate to call it a fake, but a couple things tell me it is. The biggest one being the lack of a ridgeline though the trunk floor for a Veloce fuel tank vent. Also, that is a Normale fuel tank, not a Veloce. The gauges are correct, as are the badges, but both aren't that hard to obtain or install. At the very least I'd be sending hte VIN# to Alfa Historico to have it verified.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Is it possible the tank got nasty and was replaced with a regular one? Same deal with the motor... Seems like getting the VIN verified is very important for a car like this because there is a big difference in the historical value of a Veloce and the Normale
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah, that's a long long time to keep all it's original parts, especially when for a lot of that time it was just an old sports car, not collectible. "Keep it running" was more of a priority. Used engines were cheap.

Comment

This thing was on obscure cars for sale on FB:

Looking for the Alfa Romeo Matta of your dreams? There are currently 1 Alfa Romeo Matta cars as well as thousands of other iconic classic and collectors cars for sale on Classic Driver.
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                            Love this

That's actually a really cool color - it's like a dark dark maroon.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Is it possible the tank got nasty and was replaced with a regular one? Same deal with the motor... Seems like getting the VIN verified is very important for a car like this because there is a big difference in the historical value of a Veloce and the Normale
                              Its totally possible the tank was nasty, however I'd bet it wasn't based on my findings with my own tank. (My tank sat half full for more than 40 years and its only slightly varnished, no rust.) The engine is a toss up, but even back then people knew the Veloce engine was worth hanging on it. To be honest I bet the Veloce engine ended up in someone's spider. Tons of Sprints were parted out for all the swappable parts for Spiders in the 70s and 80s. The popularity of the Sprint in those days was low compared to the spiders so they were plundered and thrown away. (Now there are far more spiders than Sprints.)

This is what you get when you research the VIN through the Alfa archives. this was for my Sprint.

Dear Mister Campbell,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1493.20198 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint, manufactured on the 6th October 1959 and sold on the 12th October 1959 to N.S.U. Werke, Germany.

The body colour is Alfa red.

The number you provided me doesn’t correspond to the engine originally fitted on this car.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio"

its easy enough to do. The buyer of this car would be stupid if he didn't send them an email to verify.

That said, I like the car, and I like the color. I hope it goes to a good home.

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Does that suggest that it is or isnt a Veloce?
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X