M30 Swap Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 Swap Opinions

I've been doing a lot of research on swap options. I have a line on a low mileage (105k) M30 with manifold, harness and ECU. The engine would go in my autox/track car build. I wanted some opinions from people who have done this swap.

Does the cars handling change significantly?
    Is this swap harder than 24v?
    Cost effective? (this is somewhat of a budget build)

Share your thoughts

Thanks,

Zeke
    • 85 325e Project
    • 2010 Subaru STi hatch
    • 01 e39 M5 (sold) :down:
    • 00' E39 540ia (sold)
    • 89' 325is (sold)
    • 97' Ram 2500 12v Cummins
    • 2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    • 2006 Yamaha YZ450F

Good chat
    • 85 325e Project
    • 2010 Subaru STi hatch
    • 00' E39 540ia (sold)
    • 89' 325is (sold)
    • 2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    • 2006 Yamaha YZ450F

Comment

Go for it. Id say this swap rates about the same as a 24v. Some say the m30 bogs down the front end but a good coilovers and set of sways and you won't know that difference. Cost effective yes and no.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

If you want a track car go for a 24v swap. I have an m52 in my track car and an m30 in my daily and they both do their jobs very well. Not to say that an m30 wouldn't do well in a track car but a 24v motor especially one with some bolt-ons and cams will rev higher and not run out of breath at high rpm like an m30 will.

Comment

I would start with asking what are the rules pertaining to whatever track/auto X you are planning on doing and asking if you want to be competitive or not? Everything you are asking has been answered in detail in a number of threads if you search...
          Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

if i were building a track rat or car that I intended to track often i'd go 24v. There's a little more room for the motor to move around. With the m30 you're working with mere millimeters of clearance unless you wanted to major reconstructive surgery to the radiator support.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
              I would start with asking what are the rules pertaining to whatever track/auto X you are planning on doing and asking if you want to be competitive or not? Everything you are asking has been answered in detail in a number of threads if you search...
              Trust me I did a lot of searching. But I would rather get current responses. I also didn't want to spend hours and hours reading through threads where people ask and post irrelevant crap and turn the thread into a mess.

I did look into the local autox chapter regs. the points and classification changes for a bmw to bmw engine swap are negligible. I can pretty much deck out my suspension and do a swap with my car and not change classes!

I decided to go the 24v route btw. I have an M52B28 on its way next week.
              • 85 325e Project
              • 2010 Subaru STi hatch
              • 00' E39 540ia (sold)
              • 89' 325is (sold)
              • 2006 KTM 950 Adventure
              • 2006 Yamaha YZ450F

Comment

Working...
              X