No announcement yet.

M30 firewall modification pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CorvallisBMW, what is easier, retrofit my m10 ac comp with a different bracket on the engine or convert to r134

Comment

I don't know what's involved with the m10, as I started with an m20. My guess is that the lines might be a bit too short as the m30 will put the AC compressor further towards the front of the car compared to the m10.

Retrofitting to r134a isn't hard, but it has nothing to do with engine swaps. The same amount of work is involved no matter what engine you have, as the engine is irrelevant to the type of refrigerant used.

Leave the compressor hooked up until you get the m30 in, and see if it can reach the bracket with the stock hoses. If it doesn't reach, you'll have to open the whole system anyway and swap in m20 hoses, at which point you can also convert to r134a if you want to.

Originally posted by Benjamin_Button View Post
      It's possible to run ac with m30 swap? Interest suddenly piqued.
      Of course, why wouldn't it be? The m30 is just a bigger m20... everything is the same. Lots of people have kept AC successfully and there are at least half a dozen threads in the m30 section dealing with it.

Comment

I ran A/C no problem.

Had to extend the Low side hose as it was too short. (Original motor was an m40)
        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by SketchyRex View Post
          CorvallisBMW, what is easier, retrofit my m10 ac comp with a different bracket on the engine or convert to r134
          i mocked my car up with the m10 compressor on the m30 bracket fine. can't confirm about belt size or hose fitment since i ditched it when I finished the build.
          sigpic

Comment

I didn't have to make any firewall modifications with the garagistic mounts on a b35 in a 91 325i. I didn't even have to remove the foam material. My dad and I simply pushed and pryed it onto the mounts when it was somewhat in position. No trans tunnel modifications either.

Comment

position 2 or 3?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                position 2 or 3?
                I'm not sure but I think it's position 3. The distributor cap is pretty close to the e28 radiator.

Comment

Weird, I had to bang in my wall a good ~.75in in some spots to get my motor to fit my '92 325ic with the garagistic mounts. mine was the early b35 block, IDK if that makes a difference. I slotted the top support on my stock rad and it practically touches the dizzy.
                  Originally posted by Japandrew73
                  I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it
                  '92 335ic Alpinweiss II/Indigo
                  '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

Originally posted by hotdish View Post
                    Weird, I had to bang in my wall a good ~.75in in some spots to get my motor to fit my '92 325ic with the garagistic mounts. mine was the early b35 block, IDK if that makes a difference. I slotted the top support on my stock rad and it practically touches the dizzy.
                    Got the engine from a 91 535i at a junkyard. Don't know what gen b35 it is. Maybe different from yours I suppose.
                    Used stock m20 rubber mounts.

Comment

i have an 89/90 e34 motor and an 84 m10 build. definitely needed massaging at the firewall but as they say, your mileage may vary. position 3 garagistic.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                        i have an 89/90 e34 motor and an 84 m10 build. definitely needed massaging at the firewall but as they say, your mileage may vary. position 3 garagistic.
                        I would assume it had more to do with the fact its an early model then which b35 it was. Just my 2 cents though

Comment

Working...
                        X