Otherwise Perfect M30B35 w/ Bent Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Otherwise Perfect M30B35 w/ Bent Valve

Just picked up a beautiful looking B35 with a 260/6 from a '92 E34. The car looked way too pretty to be in the yard, so it figures there was a problem with the motor.

When I cracked it open, I found the apparently common situation: One hand tight oil spray bar bolt and the other one sitting in the bottom of the head by the number 4 exhaust valve. There's supposed to be two washers on each bolt right? I only found 1 out of 4.

The number 4 exhaust valve is also bent pretty significantly. The rocker will barely touch the stem at full lift.

I have yet to pull and check out the head. Has anyone had a situation similar to this? I'm guessing one or more of the washers found their way between the valve and seat, causing the damage.

How likely is it that it just needs a new valve and the upgraded spray bolts?

On a side note, the oil filter came apart in my hands. There is minimal fairy dust in the pan that scared me at first, but the fine particles of the ruined filter sitting in oil look exactly like bearing material. The cam lobes and rocker pads are all smooth with no scoring and there is no slop between the crank and any of the rods.
    1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
    5-Speed Swapped
    M30B35 Swapped
    MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
    260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

How much was the engine?
    I got an ok looking m30 and all the bearings where trashed scratches on the cylinder walls
    so I just junked it. Not worth the hassle.
    Head was ok so that's a spare.

$250 so not a high price to just throw away.

Comment

$350 for motor, everything bolted to it, transmission, and guibo.
      Last edited by EatsHondas; 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM.
      5-Speed Swapped
      M30B35 Swapped
      MegaSquirt MS3X

Comment

Looks like the valve seat dropped out of the head. Never seen this before. Anyone know what might have happened? Fixable?

5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

Comment

I would bet that you just need a new seat and a new valve. I bet it's salvageable. Good luck.
          Originally posted by Andy.B
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ouch.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

How does this even happen? If the seat came out of the head, the valve must've seized into the guide, causing the rocker to push the whole valve assembly down. Otherwise the valve would have hit the piston and bent normally, leaving the seat intact.
              5-Speed Swapped
              M30B35 Swapped
              MegaSquirt MS3X

Comment

Lost oil pressure would do that to a valve and seat, was the oil pan full upon removal from the donor car?

if the block looks good it might be worth saving this m30.
                ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

No it was drained, but there was a sizable puddle in the pan when I pulled it.

The block looks great! Small dent in the number 4 piston, but that's it. A head from my local yards is only around $60. If I can find another B35 it'll probably be cheaper and easier to do that.
                  5-Speed Swapped
                  M30B35 Swapped
                  MegaSquirt MS3X

Comment

Working...
                  X