Comprehensive brake booster thread for S5x and M5x swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
    FWIW some booster diameters. Thought this would help to add so people know how much room they are gaining for the effort.

E30 (non ix): 11"OD/10" diaphragm

2002 (non-tii): 8"OD/7" diaphragm
    2002tii: 7"OD/6" dual diaphragm
    E30 ix/E32: 10"/9"OD/ 9"/8" dual diaphragm
    E36: 11"OD/10" diaphragm
    E46: 11"OD/10" diaphragm
    E46M3: 10"/9"OD/ 9"/8" dual diaphragm
    E90: 9"OD/8" dual diaphragm
    Porsche 924/944/951: 10"OD/9" diaphragm
    Mk2 VW: 10"OD/9" diaphragm
    that's good to know.. even though I already have the ix booster, I'm still worried about manifold clearance - the E90 booster would give me another half inch clearance, and they should be easy to find (and also not 30+ years old).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, I looked all over to compile the data so I figured I would post it for reference. The not being 25 years old thing can be nice too!
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

This is the first I've heard mention of using an E90 booster. Has anyone done this swap?

The diameter seems perfect and I am curious to know if it is a straightforward swap of if fabrication is involved...

As said above, it would be nice to have a newer more common booster to use for the swap.

MJ

Comment

probably the clevis needs modified, but usually that's pretty easy with basic tools.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

E90 Booster

Can this really be done? Any photos of an install out there?

Comment

-Year and model of your E30: '89 325is

-Intake manifold used in swap: M50/S50 - shaved fins for extra clearance

-Brake booster donor car: '88 325ix

-Brake booster part number: not off the top of my head

-Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: Girling or ATE

-Parts needed: E34 M5 25mm master cylinder, 2002 brake fluid reservoir, grommets and connectors.

-Modifications needed: this is a bolt on affair for e30s, the way I did it. No changing of the lines, no slotting the firewall, no modifying the clevis rod. Just a simple brake pedal adjustment at the end to adjust the pedal placement for the switch.

-Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: this is the best setup and frankly, the only way to do this job. With the 25mm master cylinder, it is a bit touchy, but has great pedal feel and superb response. Done over two dozen of these conversions and it is the best way I've found. Certainly not the cheapest, but if you want it done right...

-Other info: Booster diameter or other dimensions. Any other helpful info.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Austin! - I just acquired a 325iX booster.

Did you mount with or without the bracket? Is the 25mm master required or just an upgrade - I was under the impression that the stock master could be re-used.

Sorry for the Noob questions but I want to get mine right first time.

Thanks,

MJ

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                -Year and model of your E30: '89 325is

-Intake manifold used in swap: M50/S50 - shaved fins for extra clearance

-Brake booster donor car: '88 325ix

-Brake booster part number: not off the top of my head

-Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: Girling or ATE

-Parts needed: E34 M5 25mm master cylinder, 2002 brake fluid reservoir, grommets and connectors.

-Modifications needed: this is a bolt on affair for e30s, the way I did it. No changing of the lines, no slotting the firewall, no modifying the clevis rod. Just a simple brake pedal adjustment at the end to adjust the pedal placement for the switch.

-Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: this is the best setup and frankly, the only way to do this job. With the 25mm master cylinder, it is a bit touchy, but has great pedal feel and superb response. Done over two dozen of these conversions and it is the best way I've found. Certainly not the cheapest, but if you want it done right...

-Other info: Booster diameter or other dimensions. Any other helpful info.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  Austin! - I just acquired a 325iX booster.

Did you mount with or without the bracket? Is the 25mm master required or just an upgrade - I was under the impression that the stock master could be re-used.

Sorry for the Noob questions but I want to get mine right first time.

Thanks,

MJ
                  can you confirm that the 325ix booster is only 1" small OD than the standard 325i booster?
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                    This is the first I've heard mention of using an E90 booster. Has anyone done this swap?

The diameter seems perfect and I am curious to know if it is a straightforward swap of if fabrication is involved...

As said above, it would be nice to have a newer more common booster to use for the swap.

MJ
                    Bumping an old thread. I have a 2002 booster but before I go and get the engine in I am having second thoughts.

Has anyone successfully done the E90 booster swap? Seems like best of both worlds.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

cwlo is using it on his N52 swap. IIRC he's using an E83 MC.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        cwlo is using it on his N52 swap. IIRC he's using an E83 MC.
                        Thanks I reached out to him. I will have to check his posts on his swap. Is he using the X3 reservoir ?

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          Bumping an old thread. I have a 2002 booster but before I go and get the engine in I am having second thoughts.

Has anyone successfully done the E90 booster swap? Seems like best of both worlds.
                          This thread is awesome.

It's for a big brake setup though.

Comment

Originally posted by RainRider View Post
                            This thread is awesome.

It's for a big brake setup though.
                            Thanks, I have a BBK.

Comment

I am looking through the ATE website about the OEM brake booster and looking for the booster force, or ratio, or whatever you want to call it that a booster does. Coefficient of pushing the pedal maybe. There is Parameter T52. I am guessing that this means 5.2 ratio of increase. That is a complete guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X