M30 firewall modification pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 firewall modification pics

Do any decent pics exist? I have been on this site for quite a while and have never seen any. I am in the middle of an M30 swap and would like to see some. Post'em if you got'em
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Good call. I've read no tweaking. I've read it depends on what position.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I plan to sit it in pos 3 so I will need to make some clearance behind the head but I was hoping for some guidance before I go nuts with the banhammer. It does seem like pos 1 and 2 require no modifications though.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

There's tweaking. 10-20 whacks with a 3# sledge. It does depend on which position, but 2.5 to 3 is all I see being used what with rad clearance and the like. Not a great pic but most of it happens to the left there on the side of where the tunnel starts.

Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

^I did the same. Peal the insulation off and give it a few wacks with a body hammer. That is all. Position of mine for reference.

The Build:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

There is no real precision to making room for the back of the head (especially in position 3) Just be ready to sling the motor in and out a few times until you fine tune the space that you need.

Mark with a marker where to need to concentrate your hits and be sure not to overdo it. There is delicate heater box, wiring etc. behind that wall.

Make sure you seal and paint the area afterwards because there will be chipping paint after your done.

Enjoy and be patient!
            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Here's mine for reference too, massaged the wall about 20mm at the deepest:

///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Depending if you have a b35 or b34 and how far back your mounting the motor will determine how much the wall needs to be beat. B34's are more do to the coolant channel on the back of the head.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Do you guys run AC?

Comment

Originally posted by ultimateracing335i View Post
                    Do you run AC?
                    Negative. Nor do I have any plans for the a/c.
                    Originally posted by Andy.B
                    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Do you guys run AC?

Fuck AC haha. Btw you won't be able to install the motor with the AC compressor on if you plan on running it. Some have troubles getting the motor in with just the power steering pump. There really isn't any room to run AC with these swaps.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I dropped the engine with everything on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                          Fuck AC haha. Btw you won't be able to install the motor with the AC compressor on if you plan on running it. Some have troubles getting the motor in with just the power steering pump. There really isn't any room to run AC with these swaps.
                          I had to pull the power steering pump to swing my b34 in.

I also had to beat quite a bit to get the g265 bellhousing in without rubbing, and to clear the coolant pipe on the back of the b34 head, and also bent the brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the LF wheel up over the valve cover to make sure it wouldn't get pinched in between.

The b34 is a TIGHT fit to the firewall on q-bang mounts, but once it's in it looks so good.

Comment

I dropped the engine with everything on it.
                            I'm truly baffled how you did this.

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                            I had to pull the power steering pump to swing my b34 in.

I also had to beat quite a bit to get the g265 bellhousing in without rubbing, and to clear the coolant pipe on the back of the b34 head, and also bent the brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the LF wheel up over the valve cover to make sure it wouldn't get pinched in between.

The b34 is a TIGHT fit to the firewall on q-bang mounts, but once it's in it looks so good.

I managed to get mine in and keep my ps pump on but I didn't have AC. You are correct on everything you did to your firewall I did all that exactly. I'm running QBANG mounts aswell.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Do you guys run AC?
                              Yes.
                              HE>i
                              89 335i m30 power, 4hp22 delivery

Comment

Working...
                              X