Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200+whp stock manifold/TB m20b25 (no ITB, no stroker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200+whp stock manifold/TB m20b25 (no ITB, no stroker)

SCCA EP class compliant. Rules state less than .5" lift, 85mm bore max, 75mm crank, stock valve diameter. This is a 12:1 m20b25 with a ForcedFirebird head, Schrick 288 cam. Dyno'd off-site on a Mustang Dyno. We use a Dynojet for normal operations. Logistics say, it's a long drive from New England to FL....

Mustang Dyno pull. Stock intake manifold, stock TB, stock sized valves.
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-30-2018, 07:09 PM.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

That thing sounds awesome! Have you done much with M30 stuff? I wonder how 3.5L would respond to more compression, nice head work and a matching cam.......
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      That thing sounds awesome! Have you done much with M30 stuff? I wonder how 3.5L would respond to more compression, nice head work and a matching cam.......

Just got a Euro Shark 635 that made a deposit today to do a high-strung NA build. It's 10.25:1 stock, we are upping the valve diameter, flowing the head, using a 290 cam and a Weber DOCE-3 manifold, DOCE-style ITB's. Throttle diameter TBD, but plan is to do something similar to this m20, just + displacement, and a lot more car to pull around.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:

Comment

Q) Whats it got for a bottom end?
        A) 14:1... errr its stock hahah

This is just proof that M20s want more compression and the stroke is more for the torque side, right?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Just got a Euro Shark 635 that made a deposit today to do a high-strung NA build. It's 10.25:1 stock, we are upping the valve diameter, flowing the head, using a 290 cam and a Weber DOCE-3 manifold, DOCE-style ITB's. Throttle diameter TBD, but plan is to do something similar to this m20, just + displacement, and a lot more car to pull around.
          That sounds right up my alley! Let me know how that car does- I'm sure it'll run great. Rama just finished up the M30 ITBs he's been working on BTW, I don't know if you saw that or not. Doesn't apply to the shark though if you're carbin' out with some triple 40s or something.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Actually, I was wrong. EP is 12:1 max, and he even had me CC the chanbers (all 6) to comply in the ruleset. The bottom end was built in Cali, sent back to New England and the bore was ~.001 too tight, they never even got to break-in. It was re-worked by a local to the customer, thrashed to finish and raced last weekend. This was the break in and initial base tuning. Once everything is settled, I have found they always make more the second go-round.

I was jumping up and down when I got the video and results. Kinda make my 2.8 ITB 217hp motor look like "child's play" when a single throttle (stock bore at that) made ~6whp less on a stingy Mustang Dyno.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              That sounds right up my alley! Let me know how that car does- I'm sure it'll run great. Rama just finished up the M30 ITBs he's been working on BTW, I don't know if you saw that or not. Doesn't apply to the shark though if you're carbin' out with some triple 40s or something.

Rama is a bang up guy! Should have reached out. Either way, Redline/Weber has been making an m30 DOCE pattern m30 manifold for years. Just a matter of dialing in the head flow and throttle diameters.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Well, it was strong enough to take p2 at the SCCA Majors at Road America, and against some TOUGH competition!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim Schryer SCCA Majors 2018 half sized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7197169
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Was asked not to share the dyno graph on this one :(

Am allowed to say it made 208whp/189wtq though :p
                    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 06-18-2018, 09:05 PM.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

That thing looks pretty legit. Whats the weight without the driver?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Would have to ask. It's based on what make of car you are running in EP.

E-Production (EP)

E-Production is the fastest of the production classes and features racing from classic and contemporary production based sports cars. Example cars include the Datsun 240z, Mazda Miata, Mazda RX-7, Honda S2000, Triumph TR6, Caterham 7 and the BMW Z4.
                        According to this:

An e30 can be between 2200 and 2310 pending modifications (p.670)

For comparison sake, a hard running Spec e30 does ~160whp and has to weigh 2700lb post-race with driver - 18:1 HP:WT, this car is closer to 11:1. :)
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                          Tuned a modded High comp stock cam 2.5L M20 was running 98 octane

here is another high compression m20. quoted from another thread

so apparently the old m20 likes a bit of compression.....kind of makes me want to build a dedicated race engine
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

In car vid!

SCCA June Sprints Saturday Race. Started 2nd, Finished 2nd.1st Place - Jon Brakke2nd Place - Tim Schreyer3rd Place - Breton Williams

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            here is another high compression m20. quoted from another thread

so apparently the old m20 likes a bit of compression.....kind of makes me want to build a dedicated race engine

Yeah, that's Dave Markert, saw that one. Sending a PM...
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Just a cool looking car. Post like this makes me want to have a second attempt at building a nice m20.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                              X